Rebels Sneak Seven Goal Thriller

Home Badge

Slough Town

Foran (17), Friel (48), Sayer (62), McKinnon (76)

Away Badge

Corinthian Casuals

McNamara (40), Getting (46), Liddle (84)


Date: Tuesday, September 15th 1992 | Competition: FA Cup | Attendance: 518

Man Of Match: Andy Sayer

The Rebels progressed into the Second Qualifying Round of the F.A. Cup, away to Metropolitan Police next Saturday, after an entertaining replay in which they won by the odd goal in seven.

With skipper Les Briley unavailable due to neck muscle problems, Steve Scott donned the number four shirt and Neal Stanley returned, albeit as substitute.

On a dry, windy but mild night, we tore into the Corinthian-Casuals defence and, like the first match, had no reward, with George Friel causing the visitors problems, while a couple of chances for Scott went just wide.

Slough maintained the pressure with a series of corners and finally took the lead after seventeen minutes, when Mark Foran headed home.

Thereafter we continued to push forward and could have extended our lead as chances fell to George Friel, Mark Foran and Allan Pluckrose.

But Slough allowed the Casuals back into the match five minutes before the break. Poor defensive work saw Slough concede another long-range effort, with the Casuals' Robert McNamara driving home from 25 yards.

Within a minute of the re-start disaster struck again when Hazel and Hemsley hesitated and let the Casuals' Steve Getting in from 30 yards. Trevor Bunting's dive saw him just reach the ball, but he could not prevent it from sliding low inside the right-hand post.

But Slough struck back almost straight away. On 48 minutes George Friel was credited with his first goal for the Club, when his header struck a defenders leg before hitting the back of the net.

Further chances fell to Pluckrose, Sayer and Friel as we pushed forward for the third, but Corinthian-Casuals were always a threat. They won their first corner on the hour and had a goal disallowed moments later for offside.

However, Slough re-took the lead after 62 minutes. First Paul McKinnon's 15-yard effort was saved, then George Friel picked up the rebound five yards out, but had his effort parried before Andy Sayer shot the loose ball home from less than three yards.

Slough went further ahead after 76 minutes when Paul McKinnon headed home from a Hazel corner, but still our opponents fought back. With six minutes remaining Steer broke all of 35 yards to the by-line before pulling the ball back across, past the diving Bunting, for Simon Liddle to slot the ball home from the edge of the 6-yard box to make it 4-3

The last five minutes or so seemed to last an eternity with a few anxious moments, but Slough survived and move in to the next round.

The Vanarama National League South Vanarama Motorama

Tuesday, 13th November

vs Chalfont St Peter

Won 6-3 (Home)

+ View Report

+ League Table

Club Badge

League Table [Full Stats]

Unable to fetch League Table at this time.

Top Goalscorers [Full Stats]

Pos Name Goals
1 Mathew Stevens 11
2 James Dobson 8
3 Chris Flood 4
4 Ben Harris 4
5 Louie Soares 3
Slough Town FC Online sponsorship opportunities

Slough Town FC Squad

Follow Slough Town FC