Next match

Team logo
Virginia Water (H)
Fri Jul 5

Next match

Team logo
Virginia Water (H)
Fri Jul 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Replayed Tie Sees Another Draw



Unknown (30), Unknown (2-1), Unknown (3-2)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Palmer (8, 86), Anderson o.g. (65)
League Attendance: 1500 Unknown
The protest of Wolverton against Slough on the ground that F.W. Carlton was not duly qualified to assist the latter team in the semi-final of the Berks and Bucks cup at Maidenhead (when the latter proved victorious by three goals to one) being sustained, the two clubs were ordered to replay the tie at the recreation ground Windsor.

It was generally considered very hard luck for the Slough team to have to fight out the battle again, but their misfortune was Windsor's gain, footballers of the Royal Borough thus for the second time this season having the advantage of witnessing a semi-final of the county cup

The capital attendance present showed that the executive had made no mistake in selecting the venue, about 1,500 spectators being on the ground, which was in a rather heavy condition especially on the far side.

Several alterations took place in the teams. H. J. Carson (an Old Carthusian), W. Piner and A. E. Payne taking the places of L. Peters F. Spong and F.W. Carlton in the Slough eleven, while J. Foster and Gosson were newcomers in the Wolverton ranks.

With commendable punctuality the two teams made their appearance on the field, and it was easy to see with which eleven the vast majority of the onlookers sympathised.

Slough receiving a ringing cheer, while Gilliat had quite an ovation all to himself. Wolverton won the toss and chose to attack the St. Marks goal, this giving them the advantage of having the wind and sun at their backs. Gilliat commenced operations, and after Wolverton had returned, Slough attacked and speedily gained a corner. This however proved fruitless.

Slough still held the ascendancy and Anderson was called upon to save his charge. Gilliat now obtained possession, and making a capital run, looked all over a sure goal getter, but just as he was about to shoot he was most deliberately fouled. A freekick was awarded the Slough team, but this proved to be a poor recompense for what in all probability would have been a goal.

Wolverton transferred and the Slough custodian was called upon to make a couple of saves from warm shots after which Slough made a good continued run down the ground and Palmer obtaining position sent in a capital shot which had the desired affect scoring a goal for his side about eight minutes from the commencement amidst the loud cheers of the Slough supporters.

From the kickoff from the centre, Wolverton at once made for their opponents goal, and gaining a freekick forehand very close to the uprights, matters looked dangerous for Slough. Crocker however saved and some further good combination on the part of the Slough forwards gave Palmer another chance to lower the colours of the Railway men. He sent in a smart shot but Anderson saved by conceding a corner, from which nothing definite resulted.

Wolverton now attacked in earnest and after Crocker had saved once or twice the North Bucks team equalised matters half an hour from the opening of hostilities. After a spell of give and take play Wolverton again attacked and became very dangerous, Crocker being called upon to save; he accomplished the feat for the first time of asking but his second attempt on the part of Wolverton forwards had the desired result a second goal being recorded in their favour.

From now till half-time Slough pressed severely several free kicks for Goals for rough play on the part of the Wolverton team failing to their share. But despite frequent efforts to equalise Anderson proved equal to all calls upon him and kept his charge intact, and when the customary interval arrived the score stood Wolverton two goals, Slough one goal.

On recommencing, Slough at once put on the pressure and looked very much like securing the downfall of the Wolverton citadel but Anderson was playing a very safe game in goal and nullified all the efforts of his opponents to score. A freekick was awarded the Slough team, followed by a corner, but Wolverton cleared and transferred the scene of operations to the opposite end of the ground.

The ball, however, quickly travelled back again and Slough gained another corner, which proved of no avail. Slough kept up the pressure for a time but Wolverton defenders were playing a good game and prevented any liberties being taken.

Gilliat at length secured the ball and leaving one after another of his opponents, literally had the goal at his mercy, when one of the Wolverton backs charged him in a most foul manner from behind and prevented him from taking his shot and the ball was got away.

A penalty kick was claimed by Slough and allowed by the referee after some wrangling on the part of the Wolverton men. They could not be the shadow of a doubt but that the referee did the right thing in awarding the penalty kick as a more deliberate foul almost under the bar never took place.

Gilliat took the kick and all but made a mess of it as the ball hit the bar and rebounded into play, it however struck the goalkeeper who had run out to meet the kick and went off him between the uprights, Slough thus getting on terms again about 20 minutes after the change of ends.

After this the play became very fast, and the ball travelled up and down the field at a great rate both sides in turn threatening danger. The game had now to be stopped for a few minutes owing to one of the Wolverton team being hurt in a collision with a couple of his opponents.

On resuming, Wolverton pressed severely, and time after time were very dangerous, but Crocker saved well. Still keeping up with the high rate of pressure, the defence of Slough was tried to its utmost capacity. The railway men’s efforts were at last crowned with success, a neat goal being headed through for Wolverton, who again took a leading position.

Very little time was left for play, and it seemed any odds against Slough getting on terms again, but they persevered in the most plucky and praiseworthy manner, and after a really good run, Palmer obtained possession and wound up by putting in a magnificent shot which Anderson was totally unable to cope with, and a third goal was that credited to Slough. About four minutes was left for play and both sides struggled hard to obtain the lead, but when the referee signal time the score stood Wolverton three goals Slough three goals.

A discussion ensued on the field has to continuing the game for an extra half an hour but although Wolverton were willing to do so slow refused and the teams then left the field the Wolverton men coming in for considerable groaning from a large portion of the crowd.

For Slough, Gilliat was not seen to anything like his usual advantage and this is accounted for by the fact that he was not in the best of health, and besides which he was pretty well looked after, but, not with standing the drawbacks he at times favoured us with a glimpse of his quality.

Crocker played a good game in goal and Carson defended well at back and Fisher also showed good form. Of the forwards Palmer was certainly the pick, Gilliat and Nash also rendering excellent service.

For Wolverton, Anderson played quite up to his reputation in goal, and the halves all showed capital form, Williams and Lawless especially being seen to great advantage; the latter's good play, however, was unfortunately marred by unnecessarily rough tactics. The forwards all played a fairly good game, without any one of them showing to exceptional advantage.

Wolverton Lineup

T. Anderson, S. Coles, H. Kirby, F. Woodcock, H. W. Williams, C. Lawless, J. Foster, W. Poole, W. Sharpe, A. Gosson, J. Luter.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024