Slough's Luck Just Runs Out

Harrow Borough

Harrow Borough

Harris (19), Emmanuel (60, 3-1)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Tate (17)
Harrow Borough took revenge at Earlsmead on Saturday when they exactly reversed the score of their previous defeat at Wexham Park back in August, as they beat Slough with more luck than judgement.

This was a game the Rebels should certainly have won but as so often has happened this season the breaks just did not come for them.

One more injury to a vital member of the side ruined things when Slough were looking the better team, and this time the unfortunate victim was goalkeeper Richard Teale. He sustained a back injury when the scores were level and within seconds of receiving treatment was picking the ball out of the net as Steve Emmanuel scored a 'killer' goal for Harrow.

Certainly no one who was at Harrow will forget the first half. Played at a blistering pace after a slow start, Slough produced some remarkable football as they cut through the champions' defence.

But it was Harrow who might have taken the lead as early as the tenth minute when first Derek Harris shot just over the bar and then Teale saved splendidly from Paul Morris.

However with Devon Petty, Adrian Smith and Colin Tate up front looking really menacing the Rebels soon began to trouble Harrow; Tate had an effort ruled out for offside after 17 minutes and then skimmed the bar before Slough took the lead.

It was a classic goal as Petty, streaking down the left, found Smith and he laid the ball back to Tate who unleashed a volley from 12 yards that not only beat Andy Pape all ends up but threatened to demolish the net.

But within two minutes Slough were caught out with a sucker punch. Robbie Johnson and Clevere Forde combined well on the left and from the resultant cross Harris came in and fired home to give Teale no chance.

Undismayed Slough swung back into action and Pape twice had to save smartly to. foil first Tate and then Moran Dodds, who was having a cracking game at right back.

And then in the final minute of the half, Smith's effort was cleared off the line by Johnson.

As so often this season Slough started the second half looking somewhat bedraggled, a fatal flaw it would seem for within four minutes David Silman had headed against the bar and Derek Doyle wasted another good opening.

Slough managed, however, to shake themselves out of their uncertainty and they should have taken the lead on 52 minutes. Tate completely beat Pape only for the ball to strike the post and then as the ball rolled across the empty goal Trevor Baron could make nothing of the chance.

And then after 60 minutes Slough's luck ran out. Teale was injured saving an awkward shot from David Pearce and within seconds of this from Harrow's second successive corner the handicapped 'keeper could only punch the ball clear and Emmanuel was on hand to simply head it back into the net.

Looking somewhat crestfallen Slough returned to the attack and Smith went close before Paul Slatter replaced Dave Alexander with Petty dropping back into midfield.

After Harrow had twice come close to presenting Slough with own goals came the final nail in the Rebels' coffin. Petty lost possession in midfield and Emmanuel raced clear of the defence to fire past Teale.

Harrow now threatened to take control and the injured Teale was three times forced to make heroic saves, as at the end of the day cruel luck intervened and once more Slough for all their endeavours finished empty handed.

Harrow Borough Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024