Joe fumes as Town's unbeaten run ends

Slough Town

Slough Town

Gane (pen 57)


Adams (7), Cosham (17)
League Alan Gane
After an unbeaten run of five games in which they did not concede a goal, Slough Town made two defensive errors in the first 17 minutes on Tuesday to go 2-0 down and hand three Isthmian League points to Woking.

But although Slough had only themselves to blame for this defeat, manager Joe Arpino claimed they were robbed. He stormed: "Our goalkeeper Richard Teale was fouled when he advanced to punch the ball out and that led to Woking's first goal.

"I also feel the Woking keeper Frank Parsons caught hold of Paul Lee's foot in the second-half after Lee went round him. We should have had a penalty for that.

"Some of Woking's tackles were naughty, and both Lee and Mick Kiely took a lot of stick."

Woking certainly showed more aggression and endeavour than Slough in the first-half, and the lively runs of winger Eggie James made it a nightmare match for Slough left-back Roger Mackay.

After Woking had survived two early Slough attacks, the visitors grabbed the lead in the seventh minute. Following a poor punch out by Teale, Steve Cosham hooked the ball into the goal area where John Adams’ header was helped into the net by the off-balance keeper.

The visitors now pushed forward confidently with Alexander running through the middle to get in a low shot which Teale scrambled away and then James heading a fraction wide.

Woking's pressure quickly paid off with a second goal in the 17th minute. Mackay allowed Field's pass to reach Cosham who took full advantage of the vast amount of space he was permitted by calmly thumping the ball past Teale.

Cosham limped off in the 30th minute for treatment and in the four minutes he was absent Woking lost their momentum. Kiely had a good chance to reduce the arrears when Friend's header put him clear but the Slough striker pulled his shot well wide.

Slough showed more commitment in the second-half - and when Russell's shot was handled by Love in the 57th minute, Gane reduced the arrears from the penalty spot.

Lee went desperately close and Metcalfe had a low drive well saved by Parsons. Soon afterwards, in the 71st minute, the robust Parsons was injured in saving at Lee's feet but he continued after treatment.

Slough, whose frustration was now resulting in several elementary errors, made one last desperate bid for an equaliser but although Strong got up well to Cooke's corner, his header was straight at Parsons. And Woking had the last word when Field volleyed inches over.

Woking Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024