Lee earns win over bogey side Dagenham

| League
Slough Town
Lee (77, 90)
2 - 0
Paul Lee
Two goals in the last 13 minutes by the impish Paul Lee gave Slough Town three Isthmian League points on Saturday at the expense of their rivals Dagenham.

Dagenham, the side which has so often got the better of Slough in the league and beat them in the F.A. Trophy semi final in 1977, could not handle the combined skills of Lee and Mick Kiely, who made a fine return after injury.

However, in a scrappy first half Slough seemed to be suffering from a hang-over from their boring goal-less draw with Wycombe on the previous Tuesday, for their only worthwhile effort came from Metcalfe. A cross from Lee was headed goalwards by Metcalfe, only for the ball to be defected by the body of a Dagenham defender into the hands of keeper Huttley.

As the half continued both sides became increasingly frustrated by the problems of a bone hard pitch and some of the decisions of referee G. J. Prevett. This stopped the game's flow but Dagenham twice found their attacking rhythm and goalkeeper Teale had to make saves from Harkins and Holder.

After the interval Dagenham carved open the Slough defence with a right wing cross from Harkins but the unchallenged Dunwell headed over the bar.

In the 59th minute an attack down the left by Dunwell again caused panic in the Slough defence. Fortunately for Town, Harkins mishit his shot into the side netting.

Six minutes later it looked as if Metcalfe had broken the deadlock by heading in a right wing cross from Russell, but the 'goal' was disallowed by the referee because of pushing by Lee on a Dagenham defender.

Dagenham were not finished yet and Kidd ran onto a fine ball from defence to lob over the advancing Teale, only to see the dominant Strong head off the line for a corner.

As the game progressed Slough, recovering from a shaky start to the second-half, began to take control. It was no surprise when they eventually scored in the 77th minute. A pass by Barry Friend was deflected into the path of Kiely who got behind the visitors’ defence on the right to square the ball for Lee to convert.

It was not until the last minute that the issue was put beyond doubt. Then a Gane free-kick on the edge of the penalty box was headed home by Lee, who ran in unchallenged from the far post.

Slough's manager Joe Arpino said after the match: "We could have won by a bigger margin. There were two instances in the first half when it seemed Lee and Metcalfe were fouled in the penalty box but the referee gave free-kicks to Dagenham.

"We looked adventurous in attack and safe at the back and we were rewarded with our first win over Dagenham in the two seasons I've been Slough's manager."

Dagenham Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022