What a cracker

Sutton United

Sutton United

Joyce (25), McKinnon (pen 75)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Kiely (48, 65)
League Micky Kiely
SLOUGH supporters travelling each season to Gander Green Lane have grown used to losing by a goal in the closing minutes and they must have thought that regular experience had arrived on Saturday when, with the score 2-2 and less than a minute remaining Peter McKinnon broke clear of the Slough defence.

As he closed in on the Slough goal, keeper Richard Teale advanced to narrow the angle. McKinnon slipped the ball just to the left of Teale's grasp, only to see it hit the inside of the post, and the rebound was smothered by the keeper.

If this was not enough excitement Micky Joyce seized on the clearance and slotted the ball past Teale but this time John Beyer got back to clear. Tim Turl, taking the clearance, made his way down the wing and sent in a perfect centre which Micky Kiely met full stretch. Sutton keeper Dave Collyer held the ball at the last gasp on the line - to bring an action packed Isthmian League match to an end.

The early stages of the game, however, were by contrast relatively quiet as both sides battled away to make some impression. Without Peter Feely and Barrie Friend, the Slough team seemed to lack aggression and adventure. Paul Lee did not make any real impact until the second-half and Barrie Metcalfe, while showing considerable ability in the air, struggled when the ball was on the ground.

Slough's best chance in the first half came when Lee flicked the ball through to Dave Russell, whose lob beat Collyer but missed by inches. Later Collyer saved at the foot of a post from Metcalfe.

Sutton took the lead in the 25th minute, however. Micky Joyce ran clear of the Slough defence and with a linesman indicating offside, the home striker lashed the ball into the net, to the satisfaction of the referee.
Just before the interval Ian Cooke saved a dangerous situation by clearing off the line.

The visitors surprisingly equalised in the third minute of the second half. Beyer hacked the ball down the right where Lee made ground quickly and drew Collyer out. Just at the right moment he released an unselfish pass to Micky Kiely who ran the ball safely into an empty net.

In the 65th minute Slough scored again when Kiely found himself unmarked with the ball at his feet just inside the area. His fiercely hit shot took a deflection from Dave Dyer and swirled crazily past Collyer.

This lead proved to be short-lived as with 15 minutes remaining, referee Richardson spotted a push by a visiting defender and awarded a penalty to Sutton. Peter McKinnon stepped up and gave Teale no chance.

Both sides fought hard to gain the spoils, Mackay and Rains going close before that frantic last minute that left everyone quite breathless.

Slough have never won at Sutton, and the Surrey side have never won at Slough.

Sutton United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024