Hero Teale slips up

Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers

Teale o.g. (95)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Feely (98)
B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 750 Roger Mackay
WHEN Slough keeper Richard Teale touched an indirect free-kick into his own net in the fifth minute of extra-time it seemed his side had waved good-bye to their last realistic chance of honours this season.

But substitute Peter Feely grabbed the equaliser three minutes later to force a draw in Tuesday's Berks and Bucks Cup semi-final.

Wycombe, who had failed to score against Slough in two Isthmian League games this season, should have settled this match in normal time. The Cup holders certainly had enough chances to have repeated last season's 4-1 quarter-final win. It was a disappointing night for them altogether, for the meagre attendance of 750 did little to help Wycombe's proposal that the Senior Cup become a floodlit competition.

Wycombe, full of confidence following Saturday's 3-0 win over Blyth Spartans in the F.A. Trophy, almost scored in the 18th minute, but Teale went full length to hold a 30 yard drive from ex-Slough defender Keith Mead.

The best chance was wasted by Slough's Dave Russell when Cooke put him clear in the 30th minute. Russell fired over the bar with only Spittle to beat. Earlier a Gane free-kick had troubled the unsighted Spittle who scrambled the ball away.

Chances continued to come at both ends and Wycombe had cruel luck in the 37th minute when Atkins volleyed Long's cross against the underside of the bar.

With the second-half six minutes old, Slough replaced the unimpressive Metcalfe with Feely. But they had to soak up heavy pressure and Birdseye had a header cleared off the line by man-of-the-match Mackay.

Slough tried to check the Wycombe advance by bringing on a second substitute in Friend and switching to a 4-4-2 formation. This was a wise move but I felt they took off the wrong man in Lee, as Gane had faded badly and Cooke - who was booked for a foul on Reed - was tiring.

With extra time five minutes old Wycombe scored at last. Strong obstructed Atkins just outside the area on the right, and Holifield's indirect freekick was touched in by Teale. Until then Teale had been Slough's hero.

Three minutes later, however, it was 1-1 thanks to Slough's two substitutes. Friend sent over a pin-point corner from the right and Feely headed home with Spittle failing to challenge for the ball.

Town then came near to clinching a final place against Newbury or Hungerford as Turl was brought down and their appeals for a penalty were rejected.

Wycombe Wanderers Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024