Slough end on sad note

| League
Hendrick (30), Butler (56), Brooks (68)
3 - 2
Slough Town
Friend (67), Gane (pen 86)
Alan Gane
SLOUGH Town ended their Isthmian League fixtures on a dismal note on Tuesday when their hopes of finishing in the top three were drowned on the water-covered Claremont Road pitch.

Amazingly, Slough have failed to win any of their last five league games following their completion of a remarkable ‘double’ at Enfield.

The farcical conditions caused several mistakes, with the ball either skidding off the wet surface or sticking in the mud. But there was plenty of excitement and goalmouth drama.

During the early stages Mick Kiely was prominent for Slough and had a good shot saved by keeper Thomas in the 10th minute. Shortly afterwards Kiely forced his way past three defenders but again his shot was saved by Thomas.

It was a bitter blow for Slough when Kiely sustained a leg injury in the 23rd minute and had to be replaced by substitute Peter Feely.

Town, who were already without the injured Russell, fell behind in the 30th minute when Beyer under-hit a back pass and the lively Hendrick swept the ball past keeper Teale.

Slough, with the wind behind them in the second-half, pushed forward, only to be caught off guard by a breakaway. In the 56th minute ex-Slough player Micky Cooper sent a long clearance to Roy Butler who beat Eric Young and flashed the ball over Teale's head into the net.

Undeterred, Slough forced nine corners in five minutes and from the last of these Friend scored direct from a wind assisted flag kick in the 67th minute.

But a minute later it was 3-1 after a bad clearance by Turl had put Mackay under pressure. Garrini got in a shot which Teale could not hold as two forwards challenged him and substitute George Brooks forced the ball home.

Teale had to make several smart saves but Slough weathered the storm and grabbed a second goal four minutes from the end. Keeper Thomas dropped the ball and then fouled Paul Lee as the Slough forward pounced on it. After some confusion, during which it seemed Hendon were doing to be given a free-kick, Slough were eventually awarded a penalty which Gane converted.

In the dying minutes Metcalfe almost equalised with a header that went narrowly over.

Hendon Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022