More Cup glory for four-goal Slough

Slough Town

Slough Town

Feely (22), Kiely (25), Friend (35), Russell (68)


FA Cup Attendance: 1000 Peter Feely
STRUGGLING Slough cheered a 1,000 crowd with a superb win to take them in amongst the big boys in the FA Cup first round.

Fortified by their 4-0 victory earlier in the week over Chesham United, Slough were able to show enough football craft and ideas to outplay Tooting, currently third in the Isthmian League. Much credit must be given to Laurie Churchill who has returned to the club to take up the reins as coach.

Laurie occupied this position in the club during the time of Tommy Lawrence and was part of the team who took Slough to Wembley in the Amateur Cup Final in 1973. To judge by Saturday's performance he has set his sights even higher and looks to be aiming for the F.A. Cup itself, and this incredibly with a team at the moment firmly stuck at the bottom of the league.

Slough set out with confidence and Dave Russell managed to pick up a rebound after five minutes but muffed his shot allowing Gary Sproul to save. Another five minutes later and Slough suffered a double blow when both Ian Cooke and Alan Gane were injured.

Cooke had to retire and Gane continued bravely through the match with a heavily strapped thigh. Peter Feely came on for Cooke and at once proved a valuable asset when his well placed header brought a fine save from Sproul. Midway through the first half however, he was instrumental in creating a two goal lead for Slough in three minutes.

First a good cross from Russell was headed past Sproul by Feely and then an astute pass from Paul Lee found Feely in space and his cross from the right was tucked neatly into the net by Kiely.

Ten minutes later Slough scored a third when Barry Friend dribbled through unchallenged and drove the ball into the bottom corner of the net from 25 yards with a brilliant left foot shot.

Courage and gritty determination was the hallmark of the Slough performance and they held this three-goal lead at the interval.

On the hour Carey was replaced by Alan Walker to add power to the Tooting attack and within a minute Lee, who appeared to collect the ball in his own half of the field, ran through to score but was given offside.

Slough's final goal was not long delayed and again it was determination that led to it. Kiely chased and seized a long through ball and, when challenged on the edge of the penalty area, released it to Dave Russell who powered the ball past Sproul to put the result beyond recall for Tooting.

With the Slough back four of Turl, Wharton, Young and Mackay in confident mood Slough played out time in complete control.

Tooting Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024