Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Sat Oct 8

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Sat Oct 8 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Young goal saves Slough

| League
Slough Town
Russell (pen 21), Young (87)
2 - 2
Kelly (15), Baker (78)
Barry Friend
A GOAL three minutes from the end by Eric Young saved Slough's blushes at Wexham Park and kept alive faint hopes of keeping in touch with the Premier Division.

All-in-all it was an entertaining match with all four goals taking the fans by surprise and all without exception coming out of virtually nothing.

Slough had to field a side without Tim Turl who was injured in the Tooting match and John Beyer came in at left-back with Roger Mackay switching flanks. A strange decision this as Mackay has worked hard to become a left-sided player and at Walton with Beyer on the right and Mackay on the left, things worked out very satisfactorily.

Leatherhead took the lead in the 15th minute. Following a poor free kick by Mackay, which was played easily out of defence and with Slough committed to the attack, Chris Kelly was able to run through and pick his spot to beat Teale with a perfect shot.

Six minutes later Mackay was able to redeem himself when he set Lee free with a perfect pass. Lee transferred the ball to Kiely who unable to find a way to goal headed out towards the edge of the penalty area when Denis Malley unbelievably brought him down from behind.

Despite the fact that there was no danger, referee Challis had to give a penalty and Dave Russell made no mistake as he blasted the ball past Swannell.

Half time arrived with the scores level, and was representative of the game so far - and for the opening stages of the second half Slough gradually got on top, and Steve Camp was fortunate not to concede a goal when he headed past his own keeper.

In the 65th minute Slough had an extraordinary escape when Mal Harkins found himself with an open goal with Teale stranded. As he side footed the ball towards an empty net the Slough keeper somehow propelled himself through the mud to unbelievably smoother the shot.

Twelve minutes from time Leatherhead took the lead again as Slough lost their concentration. Terry Reardon put a bad cross field ball into the crowd and from the throw in John Baker had the freedom of the park as he ran in to shoot past Teale.

Paul Lee was then thwarted by an offside decision as he beat Swannell and almost immediately Baker was given offside at the other end as he netted for Leatherhead.

In the 87th minute Barry Friend was rewarded for his non-stop efforts - how dreadful if he had finished on the losing side in this match! The little Slough player placed a free kick into the Leatherhead goalmouth and as the ball was hacked away Young blasted the ball back past Swannell.

Leatherhead Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022