Next match

Team logo
Wealdstone (H)
Wed Dec 6

Next match

Team logo
Wealdstone (H)
Wed Dec 6 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Rebels fail in bid for winning Y2K start

| League
Att: 678
Aylesbury United
Squires (42), Stanbridge (46)
2 - 2
Slough Town
Marshall (6), Richardson (45)
Slough Town twice led their First game of the new millennium but eventually had to settle for a share of the points at Buckingham Road on Monday.

Slough took the lead on six minutes, when Dwight Marshall fired home from close range after Aaron Patten flicked a Dave Rainford corner into his path.

After that, the struggling Ducks began to dominate the game but, with Leon Townley back in defence, the Rebels looked comfortable against the Aylesbury front line. The home sides best chance early on fell to Kevin Davies on 12 minutes but his close range effort was well saved by Danny Honey.

Slough's chances were limited. Rainford fired wide on 20 minutes and his deflected shot minutes later fell into the keeper's arms.

Honey made another excellent save on 33 minutes when he punched clear a Phil Mason free-kick. Marshall and Marcus Richardson wasted good opportunities in the last five minutes of the first half, and the home side grabbed an equaliser a minute before the break.

A Mason cross from the left eluded the Slough defence and fell to Bobby Highton on the right. He cut the ball back to Oliver Squires, who blasted the ball into the bottom corner.

However, the Rebels were back in front on the stroke of half-time. Rainford's corner found the head of Al-James Hannigan. His effort was blocked on the line, but Richardson was on hand to scramble the ball home.

The Ducks equalised for a second time a minute after the restart. A hopeful ball pumped forward should have been comfortable for the Rebels' back line, but a mix-up between Townley and Honey meant Honey could only punch clear. The ball fell kindly for Oliver Stanbridge, who struck the ball into the back of the net from 40 yards.

Richardson could have put the Rebels back in front on 50 minutes after took the ball past former rebel. Cliff Hercules, but his shot failed to trouble the keeper.

Richardson had to leave the field 10 minutes later with an injury and this saw the introduction of Steve Daly, back from injury. This meant a reshuffle in the team, with Kenny Dyer moving from defence to attack.

Aylesbury were in control at this point and pushed for a winner. Hercules moved forward more and almost scored against his old team on 65 minutes, but just failed to connect to a cross from close range.

Daly looked shaky at the back, obviously not fully recovered from his injury, and was booked on 70 minutes after bringing down Stanbridge, after he had given the ball away.

The Rebels almost scored against the run of play on 75 minutes when a defence splitting pass from Patten found Mark Hawthorne. He crossed towards Marshall but Gary Phillips managed to somehow get the ball away.

Slough failed to make an impact as their attacking options were limited with Marshall playing alone upfront and long balls being sent towards him.

Chris White fired their last chance over from 25 yards on 87 minutes.

Hercules joined the Ducks attack for the last 10 minutes but his presence failed to bring a goal as the Rebels defence held firm.

Aylesbury United Line up

Gary Phillips, Danny Honeyball, Allan Pluckrose, Oliver Squires, Cliff Hercules, Scott Honeyball, Bobby Highton, Phil Mason, Gary Crawshaw, Ollie Stanbridge, Kevin Davies. Subs: Danny Hutchings, Steve Heard, Tom Hill.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023