Late strike denies point

Basingstoke Town

Basingstoke Town

Mings (45, 61), Newberry (90)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Lambert (45), Archer (80)
League Attendance: 520 James Lambert
Slough belied their league position from the off in this local derby with Basingstoke with a performance which deserved better from a game which was ruined by an inept referee.

Both sides canceled each other out early on with a heavy looking pitch already cutting up making neat football for both sides difficult.
Slough, utilizing the bright sunshine to their advantage in the first half, created the first chance of the game from a long range Holsgrove effort which Tarr did well to stop.

Paul Coombs had a golden opportunity to break his Slough duck and get a goal against an ex-club after Chris White lofted the ball into the 'Stoke area. The flight of the ball was misjudged by the defence and as Coombs advanced his effort went over the bar from seven yards out.

Basingstoke's first chance of the game fell to Rob Cook from long range, but the midfielders effort went comfortably over Danny Honey's crossbar.

On the half hour mark, a late challenge from McPherson earned the Slough defender a rash booking. From the resultant free kick, the ball was cleared to the edge of the area by Daly only to see it fall to Girdler, but the midfielder could not control his effort as it went well over.

Basingstoke by this point had lost two players through injury and had introduced Newberry and Julian Sills into the game earlier than anticipated, but were quick to settle back into shape.

Basingstoke took the lead through the impressive Mings, after a mistake by White. The Slough defender slipped as he tracked Mings's run as the striker was released. Mings controlled the ball in the area, rounded Honey as the keeper went to ground and tucked the ball home despite the best efforts of Daly to stop the ball on the line.

Almost immediately came a Slough response as with the visitors first attack after the 'Stoke goal, came the equalizer. The ball was at the feet of centre back Steve Daly as he tried his luck from 30 yards with a low drive which Tarr did well to parry, but Lambert was alert and prodded the ball back across the goal and in from an acute angle to send both teams in level at half time.

Slough started brightly in the second half and caused Tarr a few problems in the opening minutes of the half. Slough earned themselves a free kick 35 yards out which Lambert swung in toward the goal. As the ball came in, all the players missed the ball as it headed toward the back of the net, but Tarr made a great one handed save to divert the ball round the post for a corner.
From the resulting corner, Rainford whipped in a dangerous ball to the backpost which fell to Lambert on the edge but the ex-Royal could not get enough power behind the effort as Tarr saved comfortably.
Basingstoke were still able to create chances of their own and Newberry went close after a dangerous low cross from the left wing was prodded over by the sub.

Another good break and cross from the left found the dangerous right wing back Baker who saw his volley superbly blocked for a corner after 61 minutes. From the corner, the ball was cleared to the edge of the area by the Slough defence where it was promptly hit low back into a crowd of players, and Mings was able to steer the ball past Honey to give 'Stoke the lead for the second time in the game.

Basingstoke began to apply further pressure and Julian Sills could have extended their lead when the ball found it's way to him from a corner, but he could not keep his effort down.

Ten minutes from the end saw a White cross from the right wing fall perfectly into the path of the advancing Archer and the left midfielder kept his composure well to cooly place his volley low to Tarr's right to put the Rebels back on level terms.

Basingstoke still fought back though and Girdler was allowed to skip past a few challenges before hitting a low shot which Honey did well to tip round the post low down.

The Rebels nearly snatched the lead in the dying minutes of normal time when an audacious effort from Holsgrove went narrowly wide after the midfielder tried his luck from forty yards with a dipping volley which Tarr did not move for.

The curse of the Rebels struck though as in the eight minute of injury time, Newberry was released on the left side of the box and lotted the ball across the goal past Honey and in off the post to send the home fans and bench delirious as the Rebels contemplated another defeat.

Basingstoke Town Lineup

Tarr, Baker, Forbes, Bristow, Wilkinson, Naylor, Girdler, Cook, Mings, Gorman, Howes. Subs: Newberry, T Sills, J Sills


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024