Slough continue Wycombe jinx

| League
Slough Town
Davies (27, 43), Somers (63)
3 - 2
Wycombe Wanderers
Kettleborough (12, 40)
Roy Davies
Slough continued their remarkable record against Wycombe at Wexham Park on Saturday when they won their fifth odd goal victory on the trot against their formidable local rivals.

The game was a classic in every respect including five goals worthy of qualifying for the BBC "Goal of the Month" competition.

This success raises Slough to fourth place in the Rothman's Isthmian League table.

The game started quietly enough, the first clear chance falling to Keith Mead but Porter was out quickly to save at his feet; and then Turl broke down the right to cross to Kieron Somers who was just wide.

However in the 12th minute Ian Pearson slipped down the by-line to cross to the unmarked Howard Kettleborough who in turn thundered a tremendous volley into the roof of the net giving the startled Trevor Porter absolutely no chance.

Slough immediately got back into the match and Roy Davies just lost control on the edge of the Wycombe penalty area, the ball running through to Tim Turl who was just over.

In the 25th minute Wycombe had an escape when Paul Lee diverted the ball past the diving John Maskell only to see it roll slowly against the right hand post where it stopped dead to be hastily cleared by Phillips - but the visitors’ relief was short lived, for two minutes later a superb cross from Alan Gane was met perfectly by Kieron Somers who headed spectacularly past Maskell for the equaliser.

Suddenly it was all Slough, and it came as a shock when five minutes before half time a headed clearance by Dennis Malley was met by Kettleborough some twenty-five yards out and he "first-timed" another volley past Porter with terrific velocity.

Within a minute Porter was out quickly to save at Mick Holifield's feet. Then a quick break down the right saw Gane in a tackle and slip the ball to Dave Russell who tricked his full back and crossed hard into the area, where Roy Davies almost turning a somersault volleyed the ball left footed off the underside of the crossbar past the amazed Maskell to level the scores two minutes before the break.

The second half started as the first had finished and Gane almost got through in the 56th minute, but Maskell saved his well-directed shot. Wycombe then broke through with four attackers against Slough’s two defenders, but the cool head of Dennis Malley saw the danger and cleared.

Then in the 63rd minute came Slough's superb winner. Bobby Underwood gave Tim Turl a superb cross-field pass that he switched through to Dave Russell who centred, in turn perfectly on to the head of Kieron Somers. The bearded giant nodded the ball down to Ray Davies who controlled it well and fired low against the inside of the Wycombe post and into the net past the prostrate Maskell.

From this point Slough took charge with Paul Lee going through an inspired period while Roy Davies even found time to produce some good natured clowning.

One fine centre from Russell was superbly caught by Maskell as Somers and Davies rose for the same ball, and we were left with an amazing last minute escape for the home team when Porter lost the ball after a diving save, and as the ball was lobbed back across the empty goal Ian Pearson rose and headed unbelievably over the bar.

Report: The Windsor, Slough & Eton Express

Wycombe Wanderers Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022