Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Errors end Town's unbeaten run

| League
Slough Town
0 - 2
Campbell (30), Butterfield (58)
Dennis Malley
Two defensive errors - the first by keeper Trevor Porter and the other by left-back Bob Underwood - sent Slough Town tumbling to defeat in Tuesday's rain-swept Isthmian League match and ended their unbeaten run of seven games.

Porter and Underwood - normally two of the most dependable defenders in the league - seemed to lose their concentration in the nightmare conditions. And manager Joe Arpino confirmed: "They were two sill goals to give away."

The driving wind and rain - which was in Slough's favour in the first half - made ball control almost impossible. Indeed, the layers performed a minor miracle to keep their feet on a mud heap of a pitch that had been declared fit after two inspections.

One player who seemed less affected than anyone else was Hendon keeper Dalymple. He jack - knifed backwards to tip over an Alan Gane shot in the ninth minute and soon afterwards threw himself full length to block a piledriver from Roy Davies.

Dalymple continued to be kept busy - he even had to leap to catch a wind-assisted kick by rival keeper Porter - but against the run of play Hendon went ahead.

Haider's 30th minute free kick from the left was not cut out by Porter, and Butler headed back from the far post for Campbell to turn the ball into the net even though he miskicked. In contrast, Beyer produced a fine first time effort it the other end, only to see the ball rebound from the crossbar.

Any hopes Slough had of vetting back into the game in the second half disappeared in the 58th minute. As Field's cross came over from the left, Underwood completely misjudged the pace of the ball and it went to Butterfield who shot firmly home.

Slough, although missing the injured Turl, battled gamely on and a long shot from the left by Davies was only just stopped by Dalymple's outstretched fingers, which deflected the ball out of Somers' reach.

Nothing would go right for Slough. They had a penalty appeal for `hands' turned down and when Cooper forced his way past two of his old team – mates to cross from the right Brown saw a goal-bound shot headed out by Deadman.

The biggest let off for Hendon came in the 80th minute. Dalymple went down to get to Brown’s close range effort and although Lee forced the ball past him the referee refused to accept Slough's claims that it had crossed the line.

Slough's only crumb of comfort was the fine form of Davies, Cooper and Malley, who played for most of the game with a gashed face after being struck by an opponent's boot.

Hendon Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023