Terry's late goal earns first win in 10 games

Slough Town

Slough Town

Davies (1), White (34), Reardon (90)
Bishop's Stortford

Bishop's Stortford

Simmons (7, 24)
League Terry Reardon
All eyes at Wexham Park Stadium on Saturday were on Slough Town's much publicised new boy Phil Beal, the former Spurs defender.

But it was old hand Terry Reardon, given the supporting role as Beal's centre-back partner, who stole the show with a last minute goal - his 100th for the club - to bring Town their first Isthmian League win of the season.

Reardon well deserved his moment of glory, for he had worked harder than anyone to end Slough's depressing run of nine matches without a victory.

Skipper Roy Davies, who had opened the scoring in the first minute, also gave 100 per cent effort as Slough battled to overcome fellow strugglers Bishop's Stortford in this bottom-of-the-table tussle.

Beal added a touch of class to a suspect defence but found it hard to stamp his authority on the match. Slough's biggest weakness was again in the air and they allowed striker Dave Simmons two free headers for the visitors' goals.

There was as much action squeezed into the first seven minutes as sometimes occurs in a whole match. First, Turl sent over a pinpoint cross from the right for Roy Davies to head Slough in front with only 59 seconds gone. Before Stortford could recover they almost found themselves further behind. Turl provided an identical centre but this time keeper Dickinson clawed away Russell's header.

To their credit bottom-placed Stortford immediately fought back, with Tony Tuddenham heading home following Swann's corner, only to have the "equaliser" disallowed for a foul. In the seventh minute Stortford netted again - and this one counted. Coe's lob went over both Reardon and Beal to Dave Simmons who headed firmly past Porter.

Slough took up the attack again and Russell had two chances to put them ahead but he lacked last season's sharpness. After seeing Dickinson smother a shot that lacked power, Russell had a subsequent effort blocked by Seary.

Stortford made better use of their limited possession and took the lead in the 24th minute by again exploiting Slough's weakness in the air. Simmons was not picked up as he ‘ghosted’ in at the far post to head home Jenkins' cross from the right.

Another error led to Slough equalising 10 minutes later. Gane harried Swann into giving the ball away and White raced through the middle to place his shot wide of Dickinson.

Slough pressed from the start of the second-half, with debutant Bruce Poynter having a shot deflected wide by Dickinson. Davies then attempted an overhead kick but Dickinson managed to hold the ball at the second attempt.

With the persistent rain making the pitch extremely slippery, play became scrappy. Thirteen minutes from the end Poynter went off after hurting his back and substitute Barry Mason gave Slough the height in attack that had previously been missing.

Mason came close to scoring in the 84th minute. He took a long ball from Beal on his chest and sent over a cross which Dickinson could only turn on to the bar.

But Slough would not be denied, and they were to end the match as they had started it - with a goal. A corner by Davies was not properly cleared and Reardon thumped the ball low past Dickinson's clutching fingers, into the right hand corner of the net with 40 seconds remaining.

Bishop's Stortford Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024