Feely lights fuse to set Town alight

| League
Slough Town
Feely (41), Kember o.g. (50), Somers (56), Carnaby o.g. (81)
4 - 1
Carshalton Ath
Kember (30)
Peter Feely
Slough new boy Peter Feely provided all the fireworks on a wet Guy Fawkes Day as Town blazed their way to their best Isthmian League victory of the season on Saturday.

Appearing in his first home league match, the former Gillingham star, who has just returned from a spell with FK Jerv in Norway, scored one and made the other three goals as a magnificent second half performance from the Rebels ended a run of six games without a win.

But at the start it seemed the home supporters were in for another disappointing afternoon from a reshaped Slough team, which included Roger Mackay at right-back. Early chances went begging, with Paul Lee being the chief offender.

After only two minutes Reardon sent the little striker clean through but Lee fired over the bar. Five minutes later a carbon copy move again found the visitors defence too square, but Lee once again failed to capitalise.

After this initial rush Carshalton came more into the game, and following a long cross from full back Coker, tall striker Alan Walker headed home but mercifully for Slough a Carshalton attacker was ruled marginally off-side.

On the half hour Carshalton netted again and this time it counted. A twice-taken corner on the left from Kember floated towards the Slough keeper but, with no apparent danger, Porter let the ball go straight through his hands to land in the back of the net.

Feely led a great fight-back, however, and Slough equalised in the 41st minute. Roger Mackay, who gave a sound and aggressive performance, slung a flat, hard cross into the heart of the Carshalton penalty area and Feely flung himself full length to power the ball into the net with a flying header.

Slough now visibly grew an extra inch in confidence, with Feely a constant menace. After 44 minutes he shrugged off two defenders and drew keeper Rogers, only to see his shot drift inches wide of the far post.

Feely's enthusiasm inspired his fellow attackers. Somers looked almost a different player, tackling back into his own half, and Russell, playing deeper than usual, sowed the confidence to take men on, and attempt shots from every angle.

Slough deservedly went ahead in the 50th minute. Feely robbed a defender and fought his way to the touchline where he managed to squeeze in a cross which went over the head of Rogers. Kember, with no-one within five yards of him, headed needlessly into his own goal.

After 56 minutes Feely outstripped the Carshalton defence with an amazing turn of pace for such a well built man and floated a high cross from the right that again pulled Rogers off his line. Somers, charging in like a train, nodded powerfully past the keeper from five yards.

Reardon and Beal now began to exert their authority at the back, showing increasing composure. But Slough were not prepared to sit back on their lead and, after Carnaby had headed off the line from Feely, Town scored a fourth goal in the 81st minute.

Beal sent Feely scampering down the right with a long through ball. Feely beat his man and produced a low, hard shot from 25 yards that Carnaby could only deflect over Rogers' head into the net.

After the game Town manager Joe Arpino said: "This was the performance for which I have been waiting. The aggression provided by Feely rubbed off onto the whole team.

"Roger Mackay was also a great asset while Alan Gane did a marvellous job on the other flank - I now believe him to be the best full-back in Isthmian League football. And this was the first time we have seen the true Phil Beal."

Carshalton Ath Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022