Slough's turn to be hit by quick goals



Bartlett (6), Scullion (pen 10)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Russell (49)
League Trevor Porter
Slough Town, hit by two goals in the first 10 minutes, fought hard to get back into Saturday's Isthmian League match but Hayes survived a penalty appeal to gain a narrow win.

Hayes boss Bobby Ross, who thought his three former Slough men - Gordon Bartlett, Terry Brown and Dave Yerby - played a big part in his side's success, said: "I was hoping we would score five, but Slough showed a big improvement from their last match in which I saw them beat Southall." In that game Slough had scored twice in the first 12 minutes!

Slough manager Joe Arpino went a step further. He commented: "I felt we were unlucky. We should have had a penalty when Reg Leather tripped Peter Feely, and Dave Russell was also stopped unfairly in the box."

The Slough attack was disappointing, however, with Kieran Somers unable to give Feely the support he needed. Paul Lee was also below par but Mr. Arpino explained: "Paul has had a traumatic experience. He was paralysed from the waist up for four days after displacing a bone at Hitchin and no sooner was that put right than he caught glandular fever."

Hayes, with a stiff wind behind them in the first-half, made a superb start. After only six minutes a long ball by Scullion went over Gane's head and Wiles knocked it back for Nelmes to cross from the right into a crowded penalty area where Bartlett shot low into the left hand corner of the net.

Four minutes later Mackay brought down Scullion and from the resultant spot kick Scullion sent Porter the wrong way by tucking the ball inside the right hand post. It was the ex-Watford player's third successful penalty in three games.

When Slough counter attacked, a fine move involving Reardon and Lee created a chance for Somers but his hopeful swing at the ball knocked it wide. Yerby broke up further raids with quick interceptions but one of his back passes was badly misjudged and keeper Cox had to tip the ball behind.

Porter pulled off the best save of the first-half to foil Brown as he headed down Wiles' cross.

Slough hauled themselves back into the game by reducing the arrears in the 49th minute when Russell headed home Friend's corner at the near post. The visitors continued to have the better of the second half in which thunder and hail added to the players' problems.

Slough brought on substitute Cooke for Friend but Hayes made the most effective substitution by taking off a striker - Brown - and introducing ex-Charlton player Bobby Goldthorpe into their defence to protect their lead.

Cox made two fine saves from Feely and Lee as Hayes came under pressure but Goldthorpe and Co, survived and almost had the last word when Wiles broke away, only to fire off target.

Hayes Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024