Slough can even afford to miss penalty

| League
Wycombe Wanderers
Holifield (59)
1 - 3
Slough Town
Mead o.g. (18), Lee (21), Somers (90)
Terry Reardon
A weakened Slough Town side came away from Loakes Park with three unexpected Isthmian League points on Saturday and could even afford the luxury of a penalty miss by Kieran Somers.

Second in the table Wycombe were at fault with the opening two goals, the first being an own goal by Keith Mead, one of two former Slough international stars in the Wycombe side. The other, Roger Day, was replaced by substitute Tony Horseman.

It was very much a reunion, ex-Wycombe player Terry Reardon celebrating the occasion by giving one of his best displays at centre-back against the side managed by his brother John.

John Reardon said afterwards: "We seemed to get the Christmas spirit too early because we made them a gift of the first two goals. We won the midfield but Slough's policy of knocking long balls to their front three paid off."

The Wycombe boss's disillusionment was shared by his new coach Brian Hall, who since quitting Slough as coach on November 4 has seen them pull up from next to bottom to a middle of the table position by winning six of their last eight games.

Slough's recent successes have often been triggered off by early goals and at Wycombe they got two in 21 minutes. The first, in the 18th minute, was a tragedy for Wycombe centre-back Keith Mead. A cross by Friend from the left unnerved keeper Maskell who punched the ball on to Mead's head and it rebounded into the net.

Within three minutes it was 2-0. Wycombe failed to cut out Friend’s corner and Russell flicked the ball on for Paul Lee to force it home at the far post.

There was worse to follow for Maskell, who was playing his first league game for two months as Spittle had flu. He fouled Lee as the little striker chased a through ball into the penalty area and was relieved to see Somers - a bad choice, surely, as a penalty taker - send the kick off target.

Slough, who had brought Underwood and Horastead into the side as Gane and Feely were injured, now came under pressure but the fine handling of keeper Porter and the inept finishing of the Wycombe strikers prevented the home side scoring until the 59th minute.

The goal came after Porter had been penalised for taking too many steps. Kennedy's free kick hit Slough's defensive wall but the ball came to Mick Holifield who marked his first game since he was injured a month ago by slamming it home from the edge of the box. He thus became the first Wycombe forward to score for three weeks!

Wycombe then forced three corners and the immaculate Porter saved well from Kennedy and Holifield.

But Slough weathered the storm and scored again in injury time. Kennedy fouled Lee on the right of the penalty area but referee Terry Maher gave only an indirect free kick for obstruction. Lee touched the free-kick to Friend who chipped the ball so accurately that Somers was left with the formality of heading home.

Wycombe Wanderers Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022