Kiely earns Town trip to Carshalton

Slough Town

Slough Town

Kiely (16), Metcalfe (88)
Farnborough Town

Farnborough Town

FA Cup Micky Kiely
Mick Kiely celebrated his return after injury by putting Slough on the way to victory with a 16th minute goal as they comfortably overcame underdogs Farnborough in Saturday's F.A. Cup first qualifying round tie.

Kiely injected extra thrust and method into the Slough attack and Farnborough were never allowed to reproduce the form which had mastered Maidenhead United in the previous round.

But Slough will need to show more sharpness and accuracy in most aspects of their play if they are to triumph again in the second qualifying round on October 7 when they are away to Carshalton, who got through at the expense of Chertsey.

Although Paul Lee produced the necessary speed and skill, he lacked accuracy, missing a good chance in each half. In the 10th minute Kiely's cross found him unmarked in the goal area but Lee headed straight at keeper Rocket and the ball was scrambled away.

Six minutes later Kiely, who had returned in place of flu victim Dave Russell, switched from chance maker to chance taker. Underwood's long throw from the left was headed across goal by Metcalfe and Kiely had only to knock the ball over the line.

Kiely netted again in the 20th minute, steering Lee's pass wide of the advancing Rocket, but referee Emerson Griffith ruled him offside.

Farnborough, who had won all four of their Isthmian League Division Two games, eventually showed some of their attacking qualities and Sheedy went desperately close following a neat move by Blanche and ex-Slough striker Tony Gunn.

There were few other moments of excitement in the first half as the combination of the heat and the competitiveness of the respective defences limited the number of chances created. But Slough had four goalworthy attempts in as many minutes early in the second half.

Mackay, having come on as substitute for the injured Underwood in the 55th minute, crossed for Metcalfe to head narrowly wide.

Then keeper Rocket had to race out to rob Lee and charge down Metcalfe's follow-up attempt. Rocket had scarcely got his breath back when he was beaten by a Metcalfe shot which was blocked on the line by a defender.

Kiely was still the main threat to the visitors’ overworked defence and he burst past a defender to fire into the side-netting. The best chance fell to Lee after two pin-point passes by Cooke and Kiely had opened up a huge gap but the little striker volleyed high over the bar.

Slough's long awaited second goal finally came in the 88th minute. Mackay put over a deep cross from the left and Gane headed back across goal for Metcalfe to push the ball home.

Farnborough Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024