Slough fail again at Dagenham

| League
Harkins (70), Moore (pen 83)
2 - 1
Slough Town
Friend (31)
Barry Friend
Despite losing this match at Victoria Road on Saturday, Slough still hold on to fourth position in the league while Dagenham moved strongly onward to challenge Enfield for top place.

In the end the points were settled by a very dubious penalty awarded seven minutes from the end when Harkins sprawled over Tim Turl after the Slough fullback had completed his tackle and the ball was safely out of danger.

Veteran captain Dennis Moore stepped up to make no mistake from the spot, and from that point onwards Slough never looked like achieving their just deserts. Yet it should have been so different!

After surviving tremendous pressure during the first half hour, a quick break down the right by Dave Russell saw the ball crossed to Barrie Friend whose scorching drive beat Huttley.

Within minutes Russell and Feeley had both placed good efforts just off target and on the stroke of half-time a tremendous save by Huttley robbed Lee of a certain goal.

In the second half Slough dangerously relaxed and Teale was twice forced to make difficult saves in the goal mouth.

Slough gradually came more into the picture and within ten minutes Paul Lee, hero of the match at Staines on Boxing Day, made three misses which he will not care to remember. The first came when he was clean through with only Huttley to beat and he lost control at the last, then brilliant work by Barrie Friend gave him an open goal which the Slough striker fired into the side netting and another cross from Friend was hastily clipped over the bar.

Dagenham equalised in the 70th minute when a missed tackle by Reardon brought down Borland on the edge of the penalty area. Mal Harkins took the freekick perfectly giving Richard Teale no chance.

Within a minute Feely had shaken himself free of the home defenders and was brought down in a similar position. Ian Cooke, seeing that Huttley was at the wrong end of the goal took the kick quickly, but unfortunately missed the goal by a foot and the chance was gone.

The game continued to be entertaining but as the teams began to settle for a draw came the penalty incident that was bad luck all the way for Slough. As they attacked down the right the ball was given to John Beyer, and as he stuck his cross into the heart of the home defence the ball ricocheted clear to Harkins standing alone.

As the Dagenham forward bore down on the Slough goal came Tim Turl's interception and the referee's fateful decision.

Dagenham Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022