Kiely puts Town into semi-final

| B&B Senior Cup
Flackwell Heath
0 - 2
Slough Town
Kiely (15, 28)
Micky Kiely
While all those around him slid and tumbled on a treacherous surface of water and sand, Slough striker Mick Kiely showed exquisite poise and balance to score the two goals which knocked Flackwell Heath out of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup in Saturday's third round tie.

Kiely, the target for the ‘boo boys’ on the Wexham Park terraces earlier in the season, took both goals superbly to earn Slough a visit to Wycombe or Maidenhead in the semi-finals on March 10. In the other semi-final Bracknell or Newbury entertain Hungerford.

Unfashionable Flackwell Heath, the underdogs from the Hellenic League whose compact ground has no stand or floodlights, battled hard but were unable to trouble a Slough defence in which centre-back Richard Strong was outstanding.

He gave excellent cover to keeper Richard Teale, who played despite a sprained right wrist, and there was also a competent display from stand-in right-back Mick Cumber.

Manager Joe Arpino, who had Tim Turl, Ian Cooke and Peter Feely ruled out by injury and Paul Lee a flu victim, did not want the match to be played. He explained: "Players could not turn properly and we were fortunate that we suffered only one more injury - Barry Metcalfe pulled a hamstring."

Despite their reservations, Slough showed more willingness to attack than the home side and went very close early on. Former Flackwell Heath player Dave Russell got in a low shot which keeper Wright fumbled, but Reardon thumped the rebound well wide.

It did not take Slough long to score, however. Strong pumped the ball upfield in the 15th minute and Kiely, showing deft control, shot calmly into the left hand corner of the net, well wide of Wright.

That was the signal for Flackwell Heath to launch their first dangerous attack and Teale had to go down to block a header from Fisher, while Moir fired inches wide a minute later.

But Kiely got the second ‘killer’ goal for Slough in the 28th minute. Friend’s corner from the right went straight to Kiely who rose high above the home defenders to nod the ball firmly into the net.

Play fell away badly in the second-half as a succession of passes went astray. Flackwell Heath, repeatedly foiled by the determination of Slough midfield men Reardon and Gane, decided to take off ex Wycombe striker Tony Horseman in the 65th minute. But substitute Dave Collet's aggression also failed to find a way through.

Slough could not manage a worthwhile scoring attempt in this half until after their youth team captain Steve Norman had replaced the injured Metcalfe in the 80th minute. Then Russell brought a fine save from Wright but the home side counter-attacked immediately and Collet fired inches wide.

Flackwell Heath Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022