Shaky Slough crash



Salkeld (71), Baker (75), Kelly (76)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Roger Mackay
SLOUGH Town gave another inept display in Tuesday's Isthmian League match and are now in desperate trouble after losing four of their six games and picking up only four points from a possible 18.

Several of their players seemed so upset by Leatherhead's forceful, full blooded tackling that they lost balls they should have won. The Slough attack was virtually non-existent and, even allowing for the poor service, the forwards must take a lot of the blame. I was particularly disappointed with Peter Feely who was unable to produce the sort of aggression and determination I would expect from most park players.

Fellow striker Barry Metcalfe also failed to show enough thrust and repeatedly ran into ‘blind alleys’, while Paul Lee looked far from match fit. The midfield was indecisive and the defence uncertain, though transfer-listed skipper John Beyer and debutant Joe Maloney, an 18-year-old product of the youth side, combined well as twin centre backs until Leatherhead struck with three goals in six minutes.

Slough's reshuffled side came under pressure in the opening 30 minutes, with Steve Melledew volleying over the bar and the elusive Chris Kelly bringing a diving save from Teale.

Leatherhead actually found the net in the 19th minute, but after John Baker had headed in Melledew's cross from the right referee A. Coletta disallowed the ‘goal’ for a foul.

The main difference between the two sides was that whereas Leatherhead built up their moves along the ground, Slough persisted in hitting long, hopeful balls towards their strikers who had little chance of controlling most of them. Slough's only first-half scoring attempt was a lob by Gane which landed on top of the bar.

Town began to look ragged - in every sense. Feely was clearly upset after having his collar ripped by Cooper, while Metcalfe, angered by one of Mr. Coletta's decisions, threw the ball away and got himself booked in the 46th minute.

Little more was seen of either Feely or Metcalfe and Leatherhead increased the pressure until they were rewarded with a 71st minute goal. Brooks sent over a first time cross from the left and Salkeld volleyed it into the net before Teale could move.

Slough now went to pieces and two goals in two minutes put Leatherhead well in command. In the 75th minute another cross from the left, this time by Kelly, was amazingly missed by Teale and Baker thumped the ball home.

Almost immediately afterwards Melledew pumped the ball into the Slough penalty area once more and the unmarked Kelly climbed to nod it in.

Leatherhead would have made it 4-0 had Maloney not blocked a hard drive from Salkeld in the last minute.

Leatherhead Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024