Reardon sent off as Slough let it slip

| League
Boreham Wood
O'Donaghue (pen 80), Wishaw (82, 87)
3 - 2
Slough Town
Marks (3), Dodds (77)
Micky Kiely
THE wheel of fortune certainly turned its full circle for Slough within a week following their remarkable 10 goal win over Hitchin.

Things went wrong with a vengeance at Boreham Wood on Saturday. For the second time in five days, Slough had a player sent off when Terry Reardon received his marching orders ten minutes from the end and a 2-0 lead was quickly changed to a defeat in the most bizarre circumstances.

Probably the most vital contribution to this result was the loss through injury of Eric Young from the heart of a Slough defence that looked uneasy throughout the 90 minutes of the match.

Slough could hardly have hoped for a better start when Peter Feely centred from the right and Charlie Marks drove the ball past Waller in the third minute.

Jeff Batten should have equalised after a Reardon error and then the Slough veteran was booked for a body check midway through the first half when Batten ran clear after a mistake by Alan Gane.

With Micky Kiely looking very impressive Slough were unlucky not to increase their lead by half-time. Tony Waugh shot lust wide for the home team immediately after the interval but Slough, playing the better football, continued to look dangerous.

Midway through the second half both sides used their subs, Walsh replacing Tyler for the home team wile Alan Gane gave way to Rowan Dodds. Dodds was almost immediately brought down by Caretta, the free kick conceded being utterly wasted by Slough.

Teale was hurt in a collision with Batten and afterwards seemed unable to produce anything like his normal form and Slough were lucky after Teale had dropped the ball when Wishaw had a goal disallowed for offside with 14 minutes remaining.

Straight from the free kick Kiely cut in from the right and with the Wood defence spread-eagled, Dodds scored what appeared to be the clincher for Slough.

Two minutes later the game had swung violently towards Boreham Wood when Teale again dropped a high cross from the right and Wishaw's shot was punched over the bar by Reardon, an instinctive reaction which until recently been considered acceptable.

With the law as it stands however, Reardon had to go when the ref showed the red card and Nick O'Donaghue banged the ball into the net from the spot.

Two minutes later Wishaw sent in a long shot which bounced just in front of Teale and as the keeper dived to smother the shot it somehow squeezed through his body and bounced just over the line inside the post.

The final whistle followed three minutes after Kevin Myers, three yards offside, received the ball well inside the Slough half and was allowed to go through to give Wishaw a simple chance to score the winner. In the remaining time Slough never really threatened and left the field a dejected side.

Boreham Wood Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022