Nightmare! Own goal gives victory to Rebels.

Windsor & Eton

Windsor & Eton

Slough Town

Slough Town

Waites (o.g. 8)
League Attendance: 1171 Mark Adams
Ex-Slough midfielder Paul Waites set himself up with the dubious honour of getting on the scoresheet for his old club on Boxing Day. It was his eighth minute back pass that provided the only goal of the game, and quickly sent Slough back to the top of the table.

Windsor though, were guilty of not showing the type of gritty, battling performance that is characteristic of these local derby games.

Slough meanwhile, got the bit between their teeth, and at times could have savaged the Royalists. The match had been in doubt over the Christmas period, but hard work from the Windsor officials had allowed it to proceed, albeit on a very heavy pitch. It was the Rebels who made the running, with Windsor showing glimpses of form, but always kept under wraps. The Royalists clearly missed Mick Banton, who was in South Africa, and Byron Walton chose the wrong match to miss his first penalty for Windsor.

Jubiliant Slough boss Alan Davies said after the game he was "Pleased with another 3 points. On a difficult pitch we played a lot of football, and could of had four or five goals today." And he summed up the spirit in the Slough camp at the moment. "We trained on Sunday morning, and the players couldn't wait to get here. "

Alf Coulton was rather subdued. "I'm very disappointed with the performance. One or two players played quite well but normally you can carry a couple of players, but not three or four."

Coulton refused to put too much down to the missing Mick Banton, and said "You miss players, but we've played well without them before."

Barry Rake released Steve Thompson early on, but with only Kevin Mitchell to beat, he squared the ball and it was cleared. But soon the only goal of the match came.

Thompson sent in a low drive to the far post which found Paul Waites about six yards out. Waites tried to be a bit too cool, and without looking, knocked the ball back to Mitchell, who suddenly found himself stretching, but couldn't prevent the ball going in.

Thompson and Derek Walters were both booked after 18 minutes for an off the ball tussle, and after the early stage domination by Slough, the Royals improved.

Rowan Dodds played exceptionally well, and gave Jeff Bateman a torrid time. Slough continued to hold the upper hand, and moved the ball around well, but it was Dodd's pace which posed the problem on the break, and led to the 36th minute penalty.

Bateman's lunging tackle brought down the big striker and Byron Walton was given the task of the spot kick. Walton, never having missed for Windsor before, hit a low shot too near Gary Lester, who dived to save well.

A superb move from Slough forced a great save from Mitchell, who had another fine performance between the sticks.

Mark Adams, Neal Stanley and Tommy Langley combined for the latter to force a fingertip save with a fine shot. The Rebels can feel aggrieved at being denied a penalty kick themselves, when Mick Barnes brought down Stanley in the box as he went to chase the rebound.

Neat football saw Mitchell tip wide Thompson's 49th minute shot, and he was at full stretch to deny Walton's frightening back pass.

Neal Stanley missed a virtual open goal after Thompson set him up. Matters were made worse when Mick Barnes went off injured, and Steve Norman replaced him, pushing into midfield with Ian Richards moving to the back four.

Byron Walton was booked for fouling Adams late in the half, and Mitchell pulled off a good save from Langley's snap shot. Adams was then booked for fouling Araguez, and as the game fell limp,

Richard Evans came off to be replaced by Eddie Hutchinson. The game drew to a quiet finish, and Slough took their first win from Stag Meadow since 1965, leaving Windsor licking their wounds after an uncharacteristic performance.

Windsor & Eton Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024