Next match

Team logo
Taunton Town (A)
Tue Mar 5

Next match

Team logo
Taunton Town (A)
Tue Mar 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Fishermen Sink A Rebels Trophy Dream

Fisher Ath

Fisher Ath

Mann (4), Little (69)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Stanley (62)
Bob Lord Trophy Attendance: 250 Darren Anderson
Enough damage had been done in the first Leg of this Bob Lord Trophy tie, but Fisher finished it off only four minutes into the second match.

Only the appearance of Mark Turkington added as a plus to the Slough side on this lacklustre evening - the defender having been signed from Woking recently after a spell with Farnborough Town in the Conference.

The Surrey Docks Stadium lacked atmosphere and warmth on a damp night, the pitch was poor and to add to the Rebel's problems. Stuart Brown's car broke down on the way and he couldn't play.

On the playing front, Hughie Mann found time and space at the far post to head home early on and the game was effectively finished, though at least the Rebels showed enough character to pursue the target until the bitter end.

On a surface that was surprisingly wet, Fisher zoomed around and hustled and hustled Slough Into errors in fact the early stages were so fast that neither side could gain cohesion.

The home side's chances came at the far post but throughout the first half little was created apart from the goal.

Gradually Slough increased their rule territorially and edged nearer to the Fisher goal, but couldn't penetrate into the box against a packed and hardworking defence. Fisher also occupied themselves with the offside trap, hurtling toward the half way line at every opportunity and the game rapidly diminished in quality.

Steve Thompson had a good run and shot which flashed past the post, but half time slowly came around. Mark Turkington replaced Vernon Pratt at the interval and with Thompson pushing up front the Rebels changed to a 433 formation.

Fisher found the added room in midfield to their liking and pushed forward, but Slough defended stoutly with Darren Anderson and Trevor How both working hard in the centre of defence.

With 55 minutes gone Tommy Langley replaced Phil Stacey and Slough put four men up front to try and pull the tie around.

Their target was reduced to three goals after 62 minutes when Thompson flicked on Tony Dell's ball into the box, Frank Murphy's initial effort was blocked but Neal Stanley was on hand to finish.

Just seven minutes later Fisher killed the revival off. Sean Lahiff saved well from Barry Little's header, but the clearance wasn't good enough and seconds later he picked up the ball to run on and fire home.

With 16 minutes left, Murphy's lob beat the keeper and also the bar and both he and Langley had chances when the 16 year old stand in keeper fumbled, but the ball was eventually cleared.

As the minutes ticked away, Paul Gorman hit the bar after Lahiff’s double save, but referee Taylor brought the evening to a close with three blows on his whistle, his three most consistent decisions of the evening.

Fisher Ath Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024