Woking take the breaks to storm Rebels' fortress

Slough Town

Slough Town

Own Goal (1-3)


Steele (20), Saunders (74), Hay (75)
League Attendance: 1288 Unknown
Trailing 3-0 with 15 minutes to go, the Slough players must have wondered what they had done to be punished with such bad luck and injustice. They had fully played their part in an entertaining game in difficult conditions, more than held their own in the first half despite going one down in the 20th minute, and dominated the second half with relentless pressure.

Two goals on the break finally sunk them, but still in the last quarter of an hour the Rebels remarkably had more than enough chances to pull level, and deserved more than a late scrambled consolation goal.

That defeat is the Rebels' first at Wexham Park since November, and amazingly since then Slough had not conceded a single Conference goal, but on Tuesday Wexham Park lost its 'fortress' tag in a cruel and undeserved fashion.

Slough came closest to scoring in the 18th when Cliff Hercules headed Danny Bolt's corner just over the bar, but two minutes later Woking had controversially taken the lead.

There was no danger when Darran Hay chased Terry Angus' long back pass to Paul Wilkerson, and the Slough keeper cleared comfortably. But as his clearance was headed back goalwards, Hay was still offside and was passed by Steele bearing down on goal. The Slough defenders' arms went up but the flag stayed down and Steele stole in unchallenged to slot past Wilkerson.

Slough kept their heads up and kept challenging, playing some dangerous balls into the box but unable to get that last touch, and had Wilkerson to thank on the half-hour mark as he made a lightning reaction save to deny Steele.

Five minutes before the break Abbott's touch from a clever Bolt free kick came off the post, and by the second half the momentum was all with the home side.

Ten minutes in, Brazil's corner was met by Stowell unchallenged, but he directed his header just wide of the far post, and minutes later Bolt was put clear on goal but drove it wide.

Brazil and Abbott both tested the keeper, Stowell again headed off target from a corner, but the best chance of all fell to Bolt a minute after Stowell had gone off to make way tor Mark West.

Making the extra man up front count, Slough played the ball around the box until finally Bolt stole in, but his first-touch effort was brilliantly saved at point blank range by Nathaniel Abbey.

Play had virtually all been in the Woking half, but on 74 minutes a rare break from Grant Payne was seemingly well dealt with by Terry Angus, who shepherded the ball out of play, but the referee, some distance from the action, awarded a corner. It was taken short and eventually crossed by McAree and met by Eddie Saunders at the far post to head in for Woking's second.

If that was another desperate break, the third goal could perhaps have been avoided if Wilkerson had not come tearing out of his goal to reach Payne's pass that had set Hay free on goal. He had little chance of reaching it and when Hay pushed it past him and inside the far post, Slough's misery was complete.

Woking Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024