A long journey back after a match that's best forgotten



Peverell (29), Marquis (38), Proudlock (55, 80), Pearson (70)
Slough Town

Slough Town

West (21)
League Attendance: 415 Unknown
Slough Town had to endure the longest homeward journey of the season on the back of their heaviest defeat of the season. They crashed at relegation threatened Gateshead despite a bright start where they dominated proceedings and took the lead midway through the first half.

But once Gateshead equalised, the home side were spurred on to greater things and ran out comfortable and deserved victors in their desperate battle to save themselves from the drop.

Early on, Slough took control and made Gateshead look a particularly poor side with their fine passing game opening them up on numerous occasions. Early pressure saw a Danny Bolt free kick cleared out to the edge of the area where Paul Hardyman met it on the half-volley only for shot to be charged down and away.

Gary Abbott and Gary Brazil teamed up in the 11th minute when Abbott's touch inside to Brazil ended with the latter curling a right-footed effort just wide.
Then Abbott himself went close, firing into keeper Dean Williams' arms from the edge of the area. Abbott's through ball to Bolt saw the wing curling a deflected effort wide.

But the Rebels deservedly took the lead in the 21st minute. Kenny Lowe lost the ball in Slough's half and that sparked Slough's best move of the game. Hardyman picked up the ball, sprayed it out wide to the right to Gary Smart who in turn found Bolt. Bolt crossed deep to the far post where Abbott chested down to Mark West who tapped home unchallenged from six yards.

The disappointment was to follow. Gateshead levelled eight minutes later and it marked the turning point of the game. Peverell broke into the box and while Miles parried his initial low shot, Peverell made no mistake from the rebound.

They could have taken the lead on 38 minutes but Ben Miles made a great save to keep the scores level as Mark Scott's cross found the head of Peverell but his diving effort was tipped over the bar. Gateshead, though, took the lead from the corner, Paul Marquis rising in the area to loop a header over Miles from 12 yards.

The second half proved a very disappointing affair as the Tynesiders took control. Ten minutes after the break, it was 3-1, Pearson opening up the Slough defence with a lovely pass through the middle which Paul Proudlock chased down to slot calmly past Miles into the bottom lefthand corner.

It could have been four moments later when first Robinson and then Robson had efforts denied by two point blank Ben Miles' saves.

But on 70 minutes, it was four. Proudlock cut in from the left, his shot across goal was again only parried by Miles, and only as far as Gary Pearson who drilled home past the unhappy keeper.

Ten minutes from time came number five. Lowe's 20-yard free kick forced Miles to parry yet again but the unfortunate keeper once again could only push the ball into the path of an onrushing Gateshead forward, as Proudlock bundled home the loose ball.

Late on, Slough did create two good chances to claw themselves back. First, Corey Browne pulled a fine ball back from the byeline for Abbott whose 18-yard drive was deflected narrowly wide, then in injury time Bolt's left-footed effort could have given a late consolation, but it wasn't to be as he fired just wide.

A disappointing result and a day to forget.

Gateshead Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024