Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5

Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Rebels get out of jail with a strike of good fortune

Slough Town

Slough Town

Haynes (84)
Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Adams (14)
League Attendance: 540 Dwight Marshall
It was virtually daylight robbery. Hampton, having outplayed Slough for most of the match, had their pockets picked of two points by the Rebels who struck late on to take a draw against the run of play.

Hampton, who were much the sharper side, took the lead inside the first quarter-hour following a swift move upfield and Slough never looked like breaking them down and rarely troubled keeper James Courtnage. Hampton, though, failed to take several good chances which would have sealed the win they deserved.

Slough had opted to play 4-4-2 with Graham Kemp at right back as Lee Gledhill was out with a one-match ban. Dwight Marshall was working hard up front with Dave Rainford having a good game in midfield.

But Hampton, with the experienced Craig Maskell and Dudley Gardner in midfield pulling the strings, were closing down Slough quickly and setting up some dangerous attacks, especially from the left flank.

Hampton deservedly went ahead on 14 minutes when Warren Williams broke up a Slough attack and made good ground through the middle before slipping the ball wide to Leroy Griffiths on the right whose quick cross found Darren Adams in a good position to drive it home.

Slough were looking ragged and had a narrow escape moments later when a ball in from Williams was deflected goalwards by Leon Townley but Steve Daly was there to make the clearance.

Daly again saved the day when he cleared another effort from Williams off the goal line.

A lacklustre Slough were just unable to cope with the pacy Hampton team who chased and harried for everything and certainly did not look like a team six from the bottom.

On the half-hour Maskell showed his class by dribbling past three players before a lob shot had beaten Honey but cannoned off the bar.

Five minutes later Marcus Richardson was fouled just outside the box and Rainford stepped up to try to emulate his effort of last week. He had to beat a wall this time and put in a decent effort but it just slid past the post.

Slough might have levelled on 40 minutes when Richardson chested down well and turned to get in a cross but Marshall missed what was an open goal opportunity.

Just before the break, another Richardson and Marshall combination ended with a drive from Marshall just narrowly off target.

In the second half, Slough showed little improvement and lacked any ideas or invention to open up the Hampton defence and the visitors continued to dominate the game.

In fact, a weak shot from Kenny Dyer, who had replaced Mark Pye on 67 minutes, was the only shot on goal Slough had mustered in the half.

Shortly afterwards, goalkeeper Danny Honey pulled off an important save to deny Griffiths, who had a clear shot on goal.

Hampton had further chances to add to their score culminating in a superb move in which Gardner crossed and Adams produced a spectacular scissors kick which had Honey diving at full stretch to keep it out.

But just when it looked like Slough would never score, their persistence paid off with the equaliser on 84 minutes.

Marshall was at the heart of the move when a clever turn put Rainford away and he slipped the ball back inside to Marshall whose shot sliced to the left of the goal where Junior Haynes made sure at the second attempt.

Hampton still played it around confidently but continued to spurn chances - Adams will regret the golden opportunity near the end when put in following a lovely dummy.

Hampton & Richmond Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024