Battle Of The Rebels Edged By Worthing

Slough Town

Slough Town



Geddes (48)
League Attendance: 384 Steve Daly
After the Rebels disappointing exit at the hands of Lewes in the FA Cup they hoped to get a good result against a strong and experienced Worthing side.

Wholesale changes were made with Paul Holsgrove, Tony Thompson and Graham Kemp left out of the side with Paul Coombs returning from suspension, Darron Wilkinson making a welcome return to midfield and Tyrone Houston making his Slough debut at right back.

The formation was also changed by manager Steve Browne and straight from the start of the match the Rebels looked to have a better shape to the side.

They could have taken the lead withing two minutes. A good move between Coombs and Paul Barrowcliff put Junior Haynes through on goal, but the makeshift striker saw his low effort well saved low by James Wastell.

Slough were clearly on top in the opening stages with Clement James causing Danny Davis all kinds of problems down the left hands side.

It was James who created another chance for Haynes midway through the first half, but Haynes shot just wide of Wastell's goal.

In fact Slough goalkeeper Steve Mautone had very little to do in the first half, but he was nearly called into action when Daly's short backpass was just reached by the former Reading keeper ahead of Worthing's Gavin Geddes.

On the stroke of half time Slough nearly made the breakthrough. A through ball from Steve Daly found Coombs on the edge of the area, who looked certain to score was it not for a perfectly timed tackle by Worthing captain Mark Burt.

Two minutes after half-time Worthing took the lead with their first real shot of the match. Some good interplay between Mark Rice and Darren Jones calved open the Slough defence, and former Brighton striker Gavin Geddes found himself with only Steve Mautone to beat. He calmly slotted the ball into the net.

They had another chance soon after when Geddes again found himself free on the right hand side of the area. His shot went inches past the post with Mautone beaten.

The Rebels response was to bring on Tony Thompson for Veli Hakki who looked a little uncomfortable on the right of midfield.

Thompson was immediately called into the action only minutes into his introduction. His cross was flicked on by Coombs, but Steve Daly's volley was well saved by Wastell.

Wastell produced an outstanding save to deny Paul Coombs a return goal on 66 minutes. Houston found Coombs on the edge of the area. The former Basingstoke striker turned his marker and his shot headed for the bottom corner only for Wastell to somehow turn the ball around the post.

Despite the Rebels having lots of possession in this half. They found it hard to create chances against a resolute Worthing defence who always had numbers behind the ball.

With ten minutes remaining they did calve out a good chance. Michael Gilkes found captain Steve Daly in the area who shot powerfully towards goal, but once again Wastell excelled himself and somehow turned the ball over the bar.

In the remaining minutes Slough continued to try and create chances, but apart from the occasional long range shot they could not break down the Worthing defence.

Worthing Lineup

Wastell, Davis, Knee, Burt, Beech, Tuck, Webber, James, Rice, Geddes, Jones. Subs: Westen, Cox, Smart


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024