Match day

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Wed Apr 17

Match day

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Wed Apr 17 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Rebels' away woes continue

Cinderford Town

Cinderford Town

Davies (23), Whitcombe (45), Heath (46), Griffiths (75)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Harper (pen 64)
League Attendance: 170 Roy Gumbs
Slough travelled to Cinderford looking for more than a simple placebo following the midweek drubbing at the hands of North Leigh.

The news that greeted the Rebels faithful was however disappointing with Matthew Platt and Adam Dickens ruled out through injury and Alex Tuttle and Stanley Mugisha absent due to work commitments. This saw Roy Gumbs and Laurence Brown promoted to the starting eleven and Leon Braithwaite and Calvin Maye occupying places on the bench.

Derek Sweetman opted for a 3-5-2 formation with Eamonn McGonigley stepping into the midfield and Harper, Daly and Fenton forming the centre back triumvirate. Slough immediately looked more solid and James Pritchard found enough creative freedom early on to cross for McGonigley to bundle home. He was thwarted however by a brave block from Bath.

Cinderford posed a constant threat from crosses particularly with two giant players in the shape of Heath and Bevan. After 15 minutes a cross aimed for Bevan at the far post was only thwarted by a despairing late dive from Steve Daly.

Slough immediately hit back with Danny Jordan capitalising on a defensive error by Hammonds and his cross just avoided Gumbs forcing Wilcombe into a panicked clearance for a corner. Slough failed to capitalise though as the corner was too deep and Daly could only head gently into the arms of Bath.

After 19 minutes Daly was forced into more natural duties again defending strongly to deny Bevan. Cinderford were not to be denied for long however and on twenty two minutes a deep cross to the far post was hammered home passed Jackson by Davies.

Slough almost hit back during a spell of sustained pressure with an excellent Pritchard cross flashing across goal and somehow evading even the faintest touch. John Gray was able to cross and Jordan attempted the dummy but the ball was hacked clear by Thompson. This only reached McGonigley whose cross was headed goal wards by Gumbs only to be cleared to Pritchard whose fierce half volley was well saved by Bath.

The turning point arrived on the stroke of half time when Jordan appeared to be tripped on the edge of the area by Hammond - the referee choose to wave away the strong penalty appeals and Cinderford were able to hit Slough with a swift counter attack. The ball was crossed to the far post and Wilcombe who had surged forward from right back was able to head firmly home.

Slough were disconsolate and the protest went on even after the half time whistle almost immediately sounded. This incident seemed to effect Slough as they started the second half sluggishly. A corner was conceded almost immediately and not cleared despite several opportunities before Heaton fired home at the second attempt.

Slough then seemed to settle and began to exert some pressure. However, on 58 minutes they were lucky not to be reduced to 10 men after Harper failed to control a pass from Riddell and as he tried to retrieve the situation caught Griffiths with a high challenge. Harper was booked for his efforts.

On 66 minutes Slough were given a lifeline when a Gumbs shot was ruled to have been handled in the area and a penalty was awarded. This seemed a trifle harsh but perhaps the referee was looking to even matters out. After much on field debate Harper eventually stepped up to blast the penalty home.

Slough now applied the pressure and seemed to have Cinderford rocking but failed to create any clear chances. A Pritchard shot flew wide and was missed by both Mark Raford and Matt Cousins with despairing dives on the grass bank behind the goal.

On 75 minutes however Cinderford put the result beyond doubt when another cross was not dealt with and Griffiths was able head home.

A late cameo from Tom Attrell and a rasping effort from Ryan Fenton which forced Bath into a fine save was not enough to provide Slough with a further consolation.

A 4-1 defeat was harsh on the Rebels who had worked tirelessly throughout the game and deserved more.

Cinderford Town Lineup



Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024