Match day

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Wed Apr 17

Match day

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (H)
Wed Apr 17 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Home defeat for Rebels

Slough Town

Slough Town

Turner o.g. (51), Harper (88)
AFC Hayes

AFC Hayes

Charlery (40, 50), Papali (63)
League Attendance: 208 Yashwa Romeo
A late goal from the returning Dean Harper was too little, too late for Slough as the Rebels suffered another league defeat at the hands of AFC Hayes.

Slough went into the game looking to get back to winning ways after a run of poor results.

The opening ten minutes were extremely cagey and it took a speculative twenty-five yarder from Byron Bubb to spark the game into life. The shot was however comfortably dealt with by the keeper.

A poor clearance from Thornton gave Platt the chance to try a speculative effort but his forty-yard lob sailed wide of both the despairing Thornton and sadly for the Rebels from goal.

Slough seemed to be in the ascendancy but could not create a clear shooting opportunity. A great pass from Platt angled into Romeo was cleared to safety and Slough failed to capitalise from the resulting corner.

More excellent work from Platt fed Bubb in down the right and his shot evaded the keeper and struck the post.

Moments later Slough had a strong shout for a penalty turned down after a poor challenge on the edge of the area. The referee however was unconvinced.

Just before the half hour mark a headed back pass from Nwako fell short and Platt nipped in and rounded the keeper but was forced wide and chose to cut it back for Bubb who blazed over the bar.

AFC Hayes now began to exert a bit more influence on the game, Charlery dribbling past both Durrant and Pritchard before firing his 25-yard effort just wide. Clark then fired a free kick which was deflected just wide before Smith was forced into a saving tackle to deny Charlery.

Slough failed to heed the warning and Charlery who was in sparkling form took on three before firing an unstoppable shoot into the top corner of Jackson’s net. AFC Hayes were now well on top and Slough were desperately trying to cling on. They survived to half time just the one goal behind.

Once again Slough started the second half slowly and within four minutes Charlery had doubled his tally and AFC Hayes’ lead, this time finishing expertly from the edge of the area leaving Jackson stranded.

Slough needed an instant reply and that’s what they got when the hapless Turner turned in Platt’s cross just a minute later to reduce the arrears.

Slough started to press for an equaliser and Romeo forced Thornton into a fine save, beating away his fierce shot.

On 72 minutes again the Slough players were unable to cope with the pace and the direct running of the AFC players. This time Osubu beat two players down the right side and crossed along the face of goal for Papali to side foot home his side’s third.

Slough were trying vainly to get back into the game but without creating any clear-cut chances. A speculative long ball over the top released Platt who was pulled down on the edge of the area. Unfortunately for Turner, who was having a nightmarish game, he was wrongly identified by the linesman and shown a straight red card. The AFC Hayes management reacted angrily to the decision and one of the coaching staff was also banished to the stand.

As play moved into injury time another speculative cross into the area was turned home by Harper to reduce the deficit. Again the rub of the green seemed to have gone with Slough as Harper appeared to be offside. However it was too little, too late as Slough slumped to another defeat.

AFC Hayes Lineup

Thornton, Walters, Nwako, Metwali, Turner, Akir, Pereira (c), Tilbury, Papali, Clark, Charlery. Subs: Osubu, Harry, Harewood, Day, Chakoada.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024