Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Replay for Rebels and Villains in FA Cup

| FA Cup
Att: 525
Slough Town
Herron (4), Coyne (56)
2 - 2
Hanworth Villa
Shennan (37), King (66)
Paul Coyne
Slough were held to a draw by Hanworth Villa in the first ever meeting between the two clubs, the Combined Counties League outfit twice coming from behind to take the Rebels to a replay on Tuesday evening.

In the warm October sunshine at Holloways Park, Slough dominated the first quarter of an hour and went close early on as Nathan Bowden-Haase had a header from a corner cleared off the line by Charlie Hare. Shortly after, Slough had a goal ruled out for a push as the pressure mounted.

But in the fourth minute, Slough broke the deadlock as Burnell played in Chris Herron, and the winger surged into the box and drilled low into the far corner on his right foot.

Soon after, only a fantastic block from James Warrington denied Levi King a goal after a blocked clearance gave him a sight of goal.

With a large vocal following cheering Hanworth on, the ‘Villains’ came into the game well, and Slough seemed a little rattled, with three Rebels players going in to referee Lloyd Wood’s book.

Slough could have doubled their lead as Burnell forced Terry Buss to beat out a fierce drive, and Steve Sinclair, making his 100th Rebels appearance, drove a shot a foot over from the edge of the box.

Burnell saw a header hit the bar from a precision Coyne delivery as Slough continued to create the better chances in a spell of Hanworth dominance – but with 36 minutes played, Villa’s dream was alive again as Lawrence Shennan turned in a fierce cross from Hare after the visitors maintained pressure on the Slough goal following a corner.

With Hanworth now looking a real threat, Joe Johnson fired a long range dipping effort just over Warrington’s bar.

The second half developed into a closely-fought battle with few clear chances, Slough’s first ending in frustration for Sinclair, blocked off after a long mazy run.

With 56 minutes played, Slough regained the lead, a goal which owed everything to the hard work and determination of Paul Coyne. The midfielder’s relentless pursuit of the ball saw him close down Buss and intercept an attempted back pass to him, sliding in to roll the ball into the empty goal.

As the game settled, Slough started to keep possession more, and reduced Hanworth to long-distance efforts.

But ten minutes after Coyne’s goal, Hanworth equalised for a second time in emphatic fashion, as Levi King stepped up and blasted an unstoppable shot into the top corner of Warrington’s goal from 35 yards out, after a foul on Jimmy Major.

Slough supporters had to endure more nervy moments as Shennan went close again, and Bowden-Haase had another header blocked on the line as both sides looked to snatch the win – but the final whistle brought some relief all round, and means both sides will have a second bite of the cherry at The Ranch on Tuesday evening.

Hanworth Villa Line up

Terry Buss, Lee Higgs, Charlie Hare, Lee Morley, Adam Baigent, Ricky Farnden (c), Jimmy Major, Shaun Preddie, Lawrence Shennan, Levi King, Joe Johnson. Subs: Daryle North, Charlie McCarthy, Matt Baines, Rob Lewis, Steve Reddings, Lee Stevenson.

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023