Promotion hopes ended by SYCOB in playoffs

Slough Town

Slough Town

Edgeworth (103)
Beaconsfield Town

Beaconsfield Town

Saroya (pen 110), Barney (114)
Play Off Attendance: 370 Stuart Swift
Slough Town's hopes of a place in the Southern Premier League came to an end with defeat in the playoff semi-final against Beaconsfield SYCOB at Holloways Park.

For the third consecutive season, Slough have suffered heartbreak at the playoff stage, this time going down to two goals in the second period of extra time after Paul Edgeworth had given the Rebels the lead two minutes before the end of the first period.

The regulation 90 minutes was largely a nervy, error-strewn affair with no goal scoring chances of note – symptomatic of too many of the Rebels' matches of late. Both sides defended well and cleared their lines when necessary, Beaconsfield perhaps settling the quicker of the two sides with Slough playing like a side under more pressure. The play was predictably nervy and scrappy, and Adam Logie and Sam Grayley traded shots wide from distance.

Half time arrived with the game still goalless, and Slough upped the tempo in the second half. SYCOB went closest to scoring though, but no played in red and white could get a telling touch to a ball from the left flank. Soon after, a fierce shot from a Beaconsfield player hit his own man, and a great tackle from Nathan Bowden-Haase then saved Slough from a follow-up attempt.

Former Rebel Charlie Mpi, released by Slough during the season, proved to be a constant threat throughout, his pace and trickery drawing a great number of free kicks down the right flank.

But with 87 minutes on the clock, Adam Logie won a penalty for Slough after he was tripped up. Ben Abbey stepped up, having replaced Dan Burnell, but Michael Power-Simpson saved the substitute's placed effort.

Slough lost Stuart Swift to a broken cheekbone on the stroke of full time, and the match went to extra-time. But on 103 minutes, the returning Paul Edgeworth, Swift's replacement, gave Slough the lead, stretching to turn in Sean Sonner's drilled low cross, the striker having done superbly to play the ball into the middle.

Seven minutes later, Slough failed to deal with a Beaconsfield short corner routine, and this led to Victor Osubu jinking his way into the box and being fouled by Danny Murphy for a penalty. Nevin Saroya stepped up and converted, with Warrington agonisingly close to saving it.

Just four minutes later, Lee Barney's shot through a crowd of players took a big deflection and beat James Warrington, a cruel blow from which Slough could not recover – and the quest for promotion out of Step 4 goes on.

Beaconsfield Town Lineup

Michael Power-Simpson, Ryan Upward, Craig Carby, Anthony Page, Nevin Saroya, Sam Grayley, Victor Osubu, Fiston Manuella, Lee Barney, Sam Waddiah, Charles Mpi. Subs: Mark Burgess, Joe Hatcher, Yiadom Yeboah, Tyron Sealey.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024