Next match

Team logo
Welling United (H)
Sat Apr 20

Next match

Team logo
Welling United (H)
Sat Apr 20 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Last gasp Woods goal beats Rebels

Slough Town

Slough Town

Mendy (90+1)


Tomkins (23), Woods (90+2)
League Attendance: 275 Unknown
A goal in the dying seconds from Uxbridge's Matt Woods, just after Slough had themselves drawn level, won the game for the visitors and handed Slough their third defeat in four games.

The result heaps more misery on a Slough side missing several key players at present, with joint managers Neil Baker and Jon Underwood denied the services of Dave Woozley and top scorer Eddie Smith, as well as the suspended Darren Wheeler, Ryan Lake and Jamie McClurg. Ben Edwards and Adam Foulser also battled on through injury and illness respectively, and it was clear that this had taken its toll on the team, as Uxbridge left Holloways Park with a deserved three points.

In wet and windy conditions at Holloways Park, Tony Mendy made his return for the Rebels, partnering Scott Harris after joining from Maidenhead on a dual-registration basis in midweek. Mendy got in a shot early on as he won the ball from defender Alfie Barratt, but saw his effort blocked. Minutes later the ball bounced to Mendy in the box, but he stabbed another shot just wide.

But with 23 minutes played, the Reds kept up their reputation of being Slough’s bogey side of the last few years, taking the lead. Emmanuel Otira hung a high ball into the box, and Jake Somerville failed to claim the ball, with Craig Tomkins beating Sean Fraser to the ball at the back post to power in a header.

It could have been worse for Slough soon after, as Mark Dennison side footed a shot just wide via a deflection as the Rebels failed to deal with a corner.

Mendy saw a fierce drive from 30 yards fisted away by Paul McCarthy as the first half drew to a close, and Slough were frustrated further for most of the second period. Dave Thomas and Mark Dennison, along with Wayne Carter anchoring midfield, were particularly impressive for the Reds as the visitors kept a lacklustre Slough at bay. Neither side created a chance until Michael Blount’s towering header was hooked off the line with an hour played, before substitute Jake Parsons put a shot just over.

Woods could have made it 0-2 as he seized upon a poor clearance from Somerville, but his attempted lob landed wide of the post.

It looked like it was not to be Slough’s day as Mendy stole the ball from McCarthy after Uxbridge failed to clear a high ball forward from Somerville, but his shot was blocked on the line.

In the first minute of injury time, Mendy looked to have rescued an unlikely point. Slough worked a short corner and the striker was on hand to head in from Parsons’ cross.

However, with just seconds left, Uxbridge launched a final attack and Slough seemed to switch off as Wayne Carter swung in a free kick, from which Woods scored the winner.

Uxbridge Lineup

Paul McCarthy, Alfie Barratt, Dave Thomas, Kevin Warner, Mark Dennison, Wayne Carter (c), Emmanuel Otira, Callum Madigan, Matt Woods, Max Hubbard, Craig Tomkins. Subs: Danny Julienne, Ola Kukovi, Philip Usuhor, Rourke Pickford.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024