Slough beat Marlow after second half goal-fest



Mealing (43), Y Romeo (49), Welch (90+2)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Hope (50, 77), Gökmen (56), S Harris (81, 90), Putman (84)
League Cup Attendance: 148 Lewis Putman
Slough progressed to the Third Round of the Red Insure Cup with a second-half goal bonanza at Buckinghamshire neighbours Marlow.

The first half looked set to end goalless until Marcus Mealing unleashed a superb dipping shot from out wide two minutes from the end, which sailed over Mark Scott and dipped in under the crossbar.

Slough had enjoyed the better of the play in the first half without troubling Marlow goalkeeper Iain McCulley unduly. Gurkan Gokmen headed wide of goal and Eddie Smith, making his return following a successful loan spell at Hartley Wintney, shot wide after being played one on one with McCulley.

McCulley made a good save from Smith as Jhai Dhillon crossed in, whilst Gokmen put an attempted lob over the bar.

Slough were surprised to be a goal behind at the break, and even more so when they found themselves two down on 49 minutes. Mark Scott saved an initial effort, but was unable to prevent former Rebel Yashwa Romeo from turning the ball in from close range.

But Slough responded less than a minute later, with Ryan Hope netting his first goal for the club. The midfielder saw his initial effort blocked, but he was able to get a follow-up shot in which squirmed under McCulley and dribbled in to the net.

Slough were soon level, with Gokmen scoring on 56 minutes. Scott Harris created the goal, robbing a Marlow defender and having an effort saved, and Gokmen was on hand to finish.

Lewis Putman had a goal ruled out for offside but Hope’s second goal on 77 minutes put Slough into the lead. McCulley got a touch to Putman’s cross, but the ball fell to Hope, who scored from around ten yards.

The Rebels created chance after chance and Dan Hicks, making his return to Oak Tree Road, went close before Gokmen had a header held by McCulley; whilst the hosts contrived to miss a simple chance, Devontae Romeo rounding Scott but hitting the post with his effort.

Scott Harris got in on the act with a goal on 81 minutes, shooting into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to put the result beyond doubt.

There was still time for plenty more goalmouth action, and Putman grabbed a deserved goal three minutes later. He was fed by Harris, via a touch from substitute Charlie Strutton, and was able to turn before dispatching his shot into the corner from six yards.

Scott Harris added another in the final minute to make it 6-2, heading past McCulley from Putman’s cross, and Marlow scored again in stoppage time, with Jay Welch curling a shot past Mark Scott – the eighth goal in an incredible second half, but only a consolation for the home side.

Marlow Lineup

Iain McCulley, Marcos Ushiro-Lumb, Devonn Reid, Adam Richards, Alex Salmon, Samuel Bangura, Devontae Romeo, Jordace Holder-Spooner, Stephen Peacock, Marcus Mealing, Yashwa Romeo. Subs: Jordan Chandler, Monay Mills-Chandler, Jay Welch, Arran Parker, Mattie Casale.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024