Hayes rally leaves Town without win in 4 games

| League
Wiles (61), Leather (64), Lavers (68)
3 - 2
Slough Town
Lee (43), Somers (54)
Paul Lee
SLOUGH Town's shattering defeat in Saturday's unpredictable Isthmian League match at Hayes mirrored their entire season - a kaleidoscope of remarkable ups and downs.

They were 2-0 ahead after 54 minutes but three Hayes goals in seven minutes meant Slough have now gone four games without a win. This follows a run of 14 unbeaten games which came immediately after their poor start to the season in which they failed to win any of their first five matches.

To rub salt into the visitors’ wounds, Hayes finished with 10 men but were still able to hold on thanks to the efforts of four former Slough players in John Delaney, Kenny Kent, Barrie Davies and substitute Peter Lavers, who got the winning goal.

Barrie Davies figured in an intriguing midfield battle with his brother Roy in the first-half, but after the break he was switched to full-back in a reshuffled Hayes side.

Stewart Scullion, the former Watford and Sheffield United winger who was making his debut for Hayes following a spell with American team Tampa Bay Rowdies, caught the eye early on with a lively run which ended in him being fouled just outside the penalty area by Malley.

Barrie Davies tapped the free-kick to Wiles whose shot was deflected to Delaney but he slipped at the crucial moment and a relieved Porter quickly gathered the ball.

Play then switched to the other end, and Terry Brown, recalled in place of the injured Dave Russell, was just beaten to a high cross by keeper Cox. Soon afterwards Gane twice returned the ball into the goalmouth following corners by Roy Davies for first Turl and then Lee to have efforts blocked.

Another left wing corner from Davies led to Slough taking the lead shortly before half-time. The ball was partly cleared by Cox but Lee pounced to volley home.

Early in the second-half it was 2-0. Following a goalmouth scramble in which a Hayes player appeared to handle, Somers settled the arguments by slotting the ball in from a narrow angle.

But Hayes, who had taken off full-back John Mitchell, a promising youngster from Slough to bring on centre forward Lavers, struck back with three goals in seven minutes.

The first came from Wiles who beat two defenders on the right and chipped the ball over Porter in the 61st minute.

Slough's defence was again at fault when Delaney knocked the ball through the middle. Malley's header towards Porter was intercepted by Leather who took the ball past the keeper and pushed it in.

The third Hayes goal was mainly due to Scullion. He took a pass from Wiles on the right and crossed for Lavers to score with a diving header.

Ten minutes from the end Wiles was stretchered off with a pinched nerve in his back. But, although Somers went close, the only time Slough really looked like equalising was when a drive by Gane was parried by Cox and Lee's follow up shot was cleared from in front of goal.

Hayes Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022