Russell and Lee destroy Hayes

| FA Trophy
Slough Town
Russell (15, 69), Lee (74), Gane (pen 79)
4 - 0
Dave Russell
The unorthodox impish skills of the much wanted Dave Russell and Paul Lee sunk Hayes without trace in the Wexham Park mud on Saturday as Slough marched into the first round proper of the F.A. Trophy.

A water-covered pitch which became more churned up as the game wore on proved a nightmare for the slow-turning Hayes defenders. Slough's midfield schemer Alan Gane was always trying to knock the ball into space to enable Russell and Lee to outpace their markers.

Hayes, who included five ex Slough players in John Delaney, Barrie Davies, Kenny Kent, Peter Lavers and Geoff Anthony, limited the home side to 1-0 at the interval. But centre-back Delaney, suffering from a first-half injury, had to be replaced by substitute Reg Leather soon after the break and the visitors went to pieces.

Until Delaney's injury the exchanges were almost even. Dennis Malley and Roy Davies, both troubled by mid-week illnesses, soon proved their fitness with Malley breaking up a Hayes attack and Roy Davies making a lively run past his brother Barrie and Delaney, only to shoot wide.

Russell then put Slough in front in the 15th minute after Gane had opened up the visitors defence. Russell managed to keep his feet despite being joshed by Delaney, and pushed the ball past advancing keeper Cox.

The nippy Russell made another surge through the middle a few minutes later. This time he tried a 30 yard shot which Cox dived to smother. Cox then had to run out to boot the ball away as Lee made tracks for goal.

Anthony and Scullion showed a few skilful touches for Hayes but lacked the pace of their Slough counterparts. Anthony headed narrowly over from Scullion's left wing corner in the opening stages and also threatened as half-time approached, but was brought down by Beyer. Scullion's free kick bounced off Slough's defensive wall for a corner following which Lavers shot a fraction wide.

Regis was also inches off target at the start of the second half and Hayes might have felt at this stage that they could repeat their recent league display at Church Road where they came back from 2-0 down to beat Slough with three goals in seven minutes.

But this time it was Slough's turn to get three quick goals in a devastating ten minute spell. Russell hammered home a 15 yard drive in the 69th minute after Brown had beaten two men to slip the ball to him.

It was then Lee's turn to get into the act. Turl and Brown combined in the 74th minute and found Lee who moved into the penalty box before placing his shot in the far corner of the net.

Hayes' defence was now in disarray and after Reardon had taken a quick free kick, Griffiths brought down Lee. The resultant spot kick was driven low into the right hand corner of the net by Gane, who used to be an expert penalty taker at Hereford. He has been given the job at Slough following misses by Reardon, Turl and Davies.

Hayes had to rely on Cox to keep the score down with fine saves from Davies and Brown. Somers, who came on as substitute for Lee, did not have enough time to make an impact but had a welcome run out following his recent lay-off with an eye infection.

Hayes Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022