Slough hit back to take cup

| B&B Senior Cup
Hungerford Town
Matthews (29)
1 - 3
Slough Town
Russell (61), Gane (pen), Brown (88)
Dave Russell
SLOUGH Town salvaged one trophy from a bitterly disappointing season when they recovered from 1-0 down at half-time to eventually master gallant Hellenic League underdogs Hungerford in the replay of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup final at Reading on Monday.

The giant killers, who had accounted for Wycombe in the semi-final, looked likely to add Slough to their list of victims when they took the lead through Norman Matthews in the 29th minute. But Slough finally shook off the disappointment of their F.A. Trophy semi final defeat two days earlier to dominate the second half.

So Slough gained revenge for the shock cup beating they received at Hungerford last season and regained the trophy they last won in 1972. Poor Hungerford had to be content with runners up medals for the second successive year.

A relieved Slough manager, Joe Arpino, said: "I told the boys at half time that I'd rather they lost 5-0 than resort to the same kick and rush tactics as Hungerford. We carried on playing good football and eventually our class told."

But Mr. Arpino again criticised Burnham referee Peter Wrennall, who he had wanted replaced after the first match. He said: "A lot of things were missed. I would still have preferred a change of referee."

Hungerford, who were robbed of the services of top scorer Dave Ingram as he had just started a 28-day suspension for being sent off in Sunday soccer, made the more positive start and keeper Porter had to produce a daring save at Farmiloe's feet in the second minute.

When Slough counter attacked, Bob Underwood, recalled at left back as skipper Dennis Malley was injured, made a fine run which led to Brown shooting just wide.

It was not until the 23rd minute that Slough threatened again. Then Somers got in a header from Russell's corner and Hungerford had to scramble the ball off the line.

But just as it seemed Slough were taking control, Hungerford grabbed the lead in the 29th minute. Roy Davies failed to stop former Slough player Jim Kelman crossing from the right and 6ft centre back Norman Matthews soared to head home.

Slough were clearly rattled. They pushed forward in search of an equaliser but without much confidence and Davies sent a shot yards over the bar.

Slough bucked up their ideas at the start of the second half and almost equalised in the 50th minute. Keeper Mooney could not hold Lee's stinging shot and although Lee followed up well he was unable to force the ball over the line before Mooney snatched it away.

Mooney now had to pull off another good save from a Brown header but he stood no chance of stopping Slough's 61st minute equaliser. Brown fed Lee who centred perfectly from the right for Dave Russell to guide the ball into the net.

Slough - and Russell in particular - now played with renewed confidence and Mooney had to be at his best to parry a full blooded Russell drive.

Hungerford finally cracked under the pressure. Faulkes, beaten by the elusive Lee, tripped the winger and referee Wrennall gave the obvious penalty. Gane's spot kick was hard enough to go under the body of the diving Mooney.

The Hellenic League side now sent on substitute Head for Webb but they could not get back into the game and Mooney had to make great saves from Brown and Russell.

Brown's persistence was finally rewarded two minutes from the end. He lost the ball to Swain but won it back and knocked it over Mooney to produce a score line that gave a truer indication of the play.

Hungerford Town Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022