Slough Come Close

Slough Town

Slough Town

Bateman (48), White (61)


Dodd (28, 82)
FA Cup Attendance: 631 Keith White
Slough Town the past masters of bagging crucial late goals were given a dose of their own medicine by Kingstonian on Saturday.

There were just eight minutes left of this exciting FA Cup fourth qualifying round clash at Wexham Park when for the second time, Kingstonian's hero of the day Gary Dodd struck to give his side another bite of the cherry and spoil Slough's imminent victory celebrations.

But Dodd's late saver might have been irrelevant had Slough's long running penalty saga not, again, struck in the most important of matches.

This time skipper Derek Harris was the unfortunate victim from the dreaded spot as for the fourth time this season Slough wasted a penalty chance.

Admittedly minutes later Keith White fired Slough ahead but the cushion of the penalty being converted along with White's goal might have been just too much for Kingstonian to take.

Instead Dodd who had earlier shocked Howard Kennedy's men with a stunning 28th minute opener I had the last word after a highly accomplished second half display from Slough had looked more than good enough to win this crucial clash.

“That’s the story of the FA Cup it was a good result for them," said Rebels boss Kennedy after all the excitement. "It seems we have to give sides a one goal start these days before one or two of our players wake up. They had two shots and both of them went in the net and you can't really cater for goals like that. ‘On the missed penalty saga Kennedy said: "We spend some time practicing penalties before the match and Derek Harris came out on top hitting three perfect penalties into the corner of the net. Despite his miss he will continue to take them this season.”

With so much at stake this game was a typical cup clash. Inside the first 25 minutes three times the lively Micky Kiely went desperately close to putting Slough ahead before Kingstonian scored a shock opener on 28 minutes.

Poor Graham Cox must wonder what playing in goal for Slough is all about as for the third successive game he was left helplessly picking the ball out of the net. Kenny Grieg crossed from the left and out of the blue Dodd crashed home a flashing 20 yard shot into the far corner of the net.

But Slough are, if nothing else, a tremendous side for battling back and although Jimmy Jacobs and Devon Petty were somewhat subdued in midfield White was at his best and led the troops by example.

And it was White, who after 48 minutes, paved the way for Slough's equaliser. His crashing free kick from 25 yards was not held by Graham Yates and Bateman was on hand to hammer the loose ball home from close range.

Slough were now rejuvenated and with Kenny Wilson in menacing form and Kiely buzzing around up front the Rebels started to play with supreme confidence. When Wilson was brought down by Chris Kelly on 59 minutes a penalty it had to be. But Harris' spot kick never even troubled Yates as it trickled hopelessly wide of the target.

But this nightmare was soon forgotten when after 61 minutes Harris' free kick was flicked on by Kiely and there was White, to volley the ball into the roof of the net.

It now looked good for Slough and Yates had to be at his best to keep out Jacobs' curling free kick. But there was always a hint that Kingstonian led by that great cup fighter Kelly might just pull out something special and that's what happened.

When the Slough defence never cleared a free kick the ball was played through to Dodd who looking suspiciously offside cooly placed the ball past Cox to send everyone back to Kingston Road on Tuesday evening.

Kingstonian Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024