Next match

Team logo
Bath City (H)
Sat Mar 2

Next match

Team logo
Bath City (H)
Sat Mar 2 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Windsor turn the tables on unlucky Slough

Windsor & Eton

Windsor & Eton

Regis (59)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 1219 Tony Knight
Windsor grabbed a memorable derby triumph to turn the tables on their arch-rivals and go four points clear at the top of the table. The Royals went down by the same margin in their last derby encounter back in September. But they produced an almost mirror image victory on Tuesday to maintain their impressive 100 per cent home record in front of more than 1,200 spectators.

At Wexham Park, Slough had the rub of the green to grab the spoils and leave themselves in second place, with Windsor languishing in the bottom half of the table. Windsor boss John Clements, along with most of the crowd, felt that his side were worth at least a share of the spoils on that occasion, but this time he said: "We didn't play very well and they were the better side. But I thought we were the better team over at Slough."

However, things have changed a great deal since then. Slough are still sitting in second place but the Royals have made a remarkable charge to the top of the table. And that has been due, in no small way, to the arrival of front men Dave Regis who poached Tuesday's winner after 59 minutes.

In contrast to the previous derby, it was Slough manager Alan Davies who was justified in recounting the hard luck stories. After the match he said: "These games are always close but I felt we created by far the most chances and I think Windsor would agree. We played well and it could quite easily have ended up 6-4 to us."

Indeed, only the heroics of keeper Kevin Mitchell kept the Rebels at bay as the electric pace of Tony Dennis and the teasing runs of Neal Stanley wreaked havoc among the Windsor rearguard. Davies remained philosophical and said: "Obviously it was a chance to go top of the league, but that doesn't worry me. One game does not make a season. The league is a marathon and I will back my players to be higher than most clubs come April."

And who can argue with him? Midfielders Gary Dodd and Paul Waites did not perform at their best in the muddy conditions down the centre and the injured Des McMahon missed out on the big derby for a second time. Nevertheless, the distribution of fullbacks Jimmy Jacobs and Keith White made up for any midfield inadequacies, launching numerous assaults on the Windsor defence.

However, it was the Rebels who made the more enthusiastic opening with Regis giving an early indication of his undoubted ability, surging past Tony Knight inside the first minute before White slid across to block the shot.

Slough soon settled down and began to carve their own chances but it was Kevin Mitchell who handed the Rebels a golden opportunity with his only mistake of the contest, after nine minutes. The Windsor keeper came out of his area to clear a long through ball but merely gave the ball away. Yet top scorer Jimmy Brown and Waites were unable to get in a chip with Mitchell stranded off his line.

The keeper made amends just three minutes later when he pulled off a fine save at the near post when Brown rifled in a fine shot after being put through by White. A flash of skill from Regis could have given Windsor the lead in the 33rd minute when he made a tremendous turn and shot from the edge of the area, but Jeff Bateman managed to deflect the shot inches wide.

But only three minutes later Mark Franks was guilty of a disgraceful miss when a Dave Barnett shot found him unmarked at the far post, but he got under his shot and sliced across the face of the goal and over the opposite post.

The Rebels regained their composure and were unlucky not to go in 1-0 up at the break. Dodd blasted a powerful 20 yard effort against the inside of the post with Mitchell well beaten and as Stanley fired back the rebound, Mitchell was on hand to make a splendid save.

Mitchell made two more saves from a Brown 25 yarder and a Dodd volley in the opening minutes of the second period before Windsor's Mark Biggins went close. Disaster finally struck for Slough in the 59th minute when Bunting could only punch Selvin Campbell's in-swinging corner up in the air and Regis, loitering on the edge of the six yard box, rose well to head under the crossbar.

In the 74th minute, a penetrating run from Stanley and a well weighted through ball put Brown in the clear on the right of the Windsor area. The centre forward aimed his shot towards the far post, but Mitchell again saved brilliantly, palming the ball round the upright.

The Rebels' misery was finally complete in the 88th minute when White was denied what looked like being a spectacular goal as the athletic Mitchell made an outstanding tip over from a blistering 30 yard drive.

Windsor & Eton Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024