Harrow Borough

Harrow Borough

Dicker (1-1)
Slough Town

Slough Town

How (5), Dodd (1-2), White (1-3)
League Keith White
There can not have been any happier member of Slough's team than new signing Trevor How on Saturday as he gave them an early lead to set them on their way to victory over his former club. The veteran defender turned in a solid performance, though tiring a little towards the end, as the Rebels bounced back to league form in an incident filled encounter at Harrow.

The visitors dominated for lengthy spells and once in front, never looked like relinquishing the advantage over struggling Borough. The uncompromising Harrow side battled throughout, but their inability to make the most of what pressure they could exert and their lack of self discipline let them down badly.

Indeed, the home side had three players booked and one sent off as their mounting frustration got the better of them. Slough boss Alan Davies was pleased to get back to winning ways after some disappointing results of late. "We haven't played to our full potential recently, but we came here with our spirits high, battled hard, played good football at times and got a result," he said.

Davies's only complaint was directed at referee Mr. S.Coffin. Despite four players going into the referee's notebook, Davies felt that it could have been more as the referee's have got to protect players. It was always going to be a competitive affair with Slough including two former Harrow players in Knight and How.

And it was that man How who drew first blood inside five minutes when he latched onto the loose ball when keeper Stuart Mackenzie failed to take a Kenny Wilson corner. How's first shot was blocked, but he followed up to stab the ball home from close range amid the almighty goal mouth scramble that followed.

Knight almost gifted Harrow with the equaliser just two minutes later. His poor header back to Trevor Bunting was intercepted by Lawrence Holmes. Fortunately for the Rebels, Bunting was out of his area at speed to make a crucial tackle. Bunting came to the rescue again in the 10th minute, tipping over an awkward Robbie Johnson free-kick floated in from the left flank.

The furious pace continued unabated and Harrow had another good chance to level after 19 minutes, but Paul Morris was off target with his free-header from Johnson's corner.

With both side's counter attacking at speed, neither were allowed to relax. However, a brief spell of Harrow pressure was rewarded when some slack Slough defending allowed Phil Dicker to crack home a fierce drive past Bunting and inside the upright from 20 yards.

But just as Borough had come back into it, Slough restored their lead with a fortuitous goal from Gary Dodd. Only a matter of seconds had elapsed when Brown crossed to the edge of the Harrow area. Mackenzie and Dicker rose as one in their attempt to clear the danger, but simply knocked the ball down for Dodd to knock home from the edge of the area as the keeper and Dicker lay helpless on the ground.

Signs of frustration started to show in the Borough camp in the 40th minute when Dodd and Dicker almost came to blows, but the rest of the half passed without further incident.

The same could not be said for the second half as as Harrow appeared to be coming back into it, Slough struck again. Tony Dennis's strong run drew a foul 20 yards from goal and centrally placed. Dead ball specialist Keith White stepped up, Dodd tapped the ball aside and White blasted a ferocious shot past the wall and the despairing dive of Mackenzie.

Harrow's frustration now reached new heights and Emmanual became the first player to go in the book for a disgraceful challenge on Dennis with no attempt to play the ball, and was fortunate to get away with just a caution.

Mark Adams followed Emmanuel into the book when he repeatedly failed to retreat 10 yards for the subsequent free-kick. At the third time of asking, How sent a chipped cross to Dodd whose header was tipped over the bar by Mackenzie. Johnson received Harrow's third booking in the 77th minute for dissent after he had been penalised for a foul throw for the second time. A minute later, Richard Evans was booked for dissent, but his continued remonstrations earned him his marching orders. The furious Evans pushed the referee in the back and only the intervention of How diffused a potentially ugly situation.

Strangely enough, Harrow started to press after being reduced to 10 men. Lawrence Holmes could have pegged back the deficit when put through by Steve Scott, but his lobbed shot over the stranded Bunting bounced wide.

Harrow Borough Lineup

Mackenzie, Payne, Johnson, Dicker, Bateman, Scott, Emmanuel, Holmes, Evans, Morris, Adams. Subs: Tate and Duffy (not used).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024