Slough Coast Into Top Spot

Slough Town

Slough Town

Thompson (5), Stanley (17, 78, 80)
Harrow Borough

Harrow Borough

League Attendance: 588 Tony Knight
Slough Town notched their second substantial win over Harrow Borough in fourteen days to move top of the Vauxhall League Premier Division.

These results also indicated the Rebels league consistency, wins over Harrow were few and far between a few season's ago, with the Borough Slough's bogey side.

So it was just reward that that they moved to the top of the table on goal difference having put nine goals past one of the top non-league sides of the eighties in two meetings.

Alan Davies, the Slough manager was left reflecting: "It's nice to get a clean sheet and score goals. There are 13 games left with 39 points to play for and we are looking at another 30 out of 39" he said for the ever hotting up championship race.

"Normally this league is won on 82-87 points. If you get to 90 and don't win it you are damned unlucky."

Slough had taken three of those points with a good start and finish, but midway through seemed to lose their rhythm. "There was a little spell in the second half where we didn't clear our lines properly" said Mr Davies.

Slough came out firing on all cylinders at the start, as the side -unchanged for three games - looks to be settling down together. It took only five minutes to open the scoring, Steve Thompson controlling the ball before playing a delightful one-two with Tommy Langley to dumbfound the Harrow defence and set himself up to score.

Minutes later a poor goal kick saw Adams control, and after neat play on the left from Robbie Johnson and Langley, Adams was available to cross to the far post where Stanley headed just wide.

The Rebels were looking rampant, filling the pitch and going at Harrow from all angles. Paul Barrowcliff was causing most problems for the Rebels, and his ball in after good work saw Fraser just off target.

Slough remained relatively untroubled whilst they dictated the play and when the second went in after 17 minutes, it looked as though the Rebels would run riot. Excellent possession play by Slough was interrupted by Payne's boot, but from the resulting throw , Mark Adams found Thompson on the edge of the six yard box. Thompson neatly turned his marker and crossed to Neal Stanley at the far post to head home.

Thompson was tearing Harrow apart, and a rout looked on the cards. But the pace died a bit, and Harrow, who refused to lie down and die, continued to try to play football.

Little else happened to make the half notable, and the game continued in much the same vein for the start of the second period. Harrow were looking like they could get back into the game, but the Slough defence always held sway.

Priddle was booked for bringing down Thompson early on, and Stanley overhit the ball after nipping in on Barry Rake's through ball.

The half was dull and scrappy, but the Rebels nearly added to their score when Johnson chipped a free kick inches wide after Stanley had been brought down on the edge of the box.

Gary Dodd was harshly booked in the 66th minute after a clumsy challenge and Harrow's Waddock followed him into the book a minute later for dissent.

Adams was unlucky with a snapshot which the keeper turned over, and Thompson chipped just too hard after breaking from a corner.

Slough were taking grip again, and Tony Knight was outstanding in the centre of midfield, working hard, winning the ball and closing men down on an evening on which he must have covered enough ground to run a marathon.

The next two goals came in relatively quick succession. After 78 minutes, Gary Lester's drop kick was headed into the path of Thompson who ran on and set up Stanley to slide home.

Two minutes later and Stanley had his hat-trick. Harrow keeper Osgood produced a poor throw which had ex-Rebel Ray Duffy in trouble. Barry Rake seized on the opportunity and raced to the byline before providing Stanley with the simplest of tasks at the far post.

Lester proved he wasn't just a spectator with two excellent saves later on, firstly from Gurney's head, and then Priddle's shot.

Rake and Knight both picked up minor injuries in the last five minutes and were replaced by Kevin Rowe and Tony Dell, though the job had been done by then and three more vital points won.

Harrow Borough Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024