Missing that killer instinct

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hercules (87)
Leek Town

Leek Town

Biggins (43)
League Attendance: 510 Danny Bolt
Slough have that end-of-season look about them and are finding goals as hard to get as World Cup tickets.

They had enough chances in this Tuesday night match to have taken the three points, but without that clinical killer finishing, they were fortunate in the end to scramble a draw.

The match was an untidy affair and not helped by a cloying pitch where close control was not easy. Slough had much of the play in the first half but were unable to create many clear-cut chances.

Matthew Stowell had one of the best efforts, but his header went just wide. Danny Bolt too put in a good right foot shot - but that too was wide.

Leek struck a blow when they went ahead just before half-time. Following good build-up play, Wayne Biggins hit a low shot which Paul Wilkerson was unable to get to.

After the break, Leek made some attacks, with players running into spare well. But Slough, with Bolt starting to have more influence in midfield, increased the pressure on the visitors.

A good attacking run down the right by Gary Smart ended with his cross just going over. Then Corey Browne forced a corner with a good move in the box. Bolt put in two good crossees but neither was met with a successful header on target.

Midway through the half, Smart won the ball on the right and released Browne whose shot was just touched off for a corner. Leek looked dangerous a couple of times on the break and could have gone further agead when a rebound from a clearance put an attacker clear - but he shot across the goal.

Minutes later, Bolt picked up a ball and dummied well and set Stowell up, but his lob shot went wide. Then Mark West, who had come on for Danny Bailey, found himself clear on the right but again the target was missed. A period of loose play let Leek back in and they still looked dangerous around the box.

Desperate tackles led to two bookings. In the 77th minute, Cliff Hercules was cautioned following a diving tackle and two minutes later Bolt was shown the yellow card after he lost the ball and followed up with a desperate tackle.

Brian McDermott then changed things around and brought on Robert Smith in the 81st minute, removing Browne and pushing Hercules up front. Smith was in the fray immediately, crucially breaking up an attack and putting the Rebels on the offensive.

From a Bolt corner in the 83rd minute, Stowell got into a good position and back headed toward goal - but it went straight to the keeper. And a few minutes later, another attacking effort was headed off the line. The equaliser finally came in the 87th minute following a corner.

Although the decision looked rather dubious, Slough were grateful for things going their way for a change and Bolt swung it in and Smith headed it back across goal where Stowell nodded on for Hercules to head it firmly into the net.

In the aftermath, Leek were incensed over the corner devision and Leek's Steve Tobin got his marching orders for dissent.

Slough had the ball in the net just before the final whislte when Bolt swung another corner over deep and Terry Angus put in a measured volley pass to Stowell who hit the net, but the joy evaporated when the referee signalled an infringement.

Leek Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024