Robbo clinches long awaited league win

Slough Town

Slough Town

Seymour (64), Hammatt (74), Endersby (86)
Walton & Hersham

Walton & Hersham

League Attendance: 451 Steve Browne
Slough Town boss Graham Roberts celebrated his first league win in charge of the Rebels on Saturday after an inspired substitution and with a little bit of help from the referee.

In a match that looked set to finish goalless, the former Tottenham star played his trump card in the 56th minute, by bringing on influential midfielder Mark Fiore, back after three weeks from his hamstring injury. And Fiore proved just how much the club has missed a player of his calibre in recent matches when he hit one of his trade-mark crosses to give Slough the lead.

His pin-point cross found Chris Seymour who made no mistake, heading the Rebels into a 64th minute lead.

Up until Slough's goal there had been little to inspire the crowd of just 451 in a match that had eight bookings and a lot of bite. Slough had come the closest to opening the scoring when assistant manager Steve Brown cracked a shot against the underside of the Walton bar on 31 minutes. But just before half-time it was the visitors who surged forward in fours and fives and were unlucky not to take the lead when a corner raced across the Slough goal, eluding any Walton players.

Even after the break Walton looked more likely to score first, that was until Fiore was brought into play. Seymour's goal set up a cracking finale to the match which had been fiercely contested by both sides but as the Slough players finished celebrating their goal, referee D Deadman suffered a moment of madness that simply ruined the match.

Former Rebel, Alan Dowson, who was booked two minutes earlier was bizarrely red-carded after he accidentally tripped Fiore on the half way line. Fiore even attempted to explain to the referee that it was an accidental trip but Deadman was having none of it and insisted that Dowson left the pitch.

Then, two minutes later the referee killed off the match by sending off Walton defender Tom Williams, presumably for dissent. Deadman did consult his assistant referee upon which Williams saw red and was left fuming as he walked down the tunnel. The match could well have spilled out of control as tempers began to boil over but the contest was over and Slough soon took control against nine man Walton.

Micky Engwell showed that he too can cross the ball into the danger area, finding Hammatt, who stooped low to direct his diving header into the top corner on 74 minutes.

With four minutes left on the clock substitute Lee Endersby capitalised on a mistake in the Walton back four to race through on goal, sending the keeper the wrong way for Slough's third and final strike.

Walton & Hersham Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024