Battling Rebels go down on the Island

Canvey Island

Canvey Island

Vaughan (43)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 653 Mark Hawthorne
Slough were downed by a single first half goal on Canvey Island.

Injury hit Slough gave full debuts to new signings James Lambert and Kenny Cramman, who signed from Boston United, just a day earlier. He linked up with Mark Hawthorne in midfield with James Lambert playing on the right and a not fully fit Chris Allen on the left.

The first ten minutes of the game were fairly even with both sides battling the game out in midfield. Canvey though had the first chance of the game. Stimson won the ball in midfield and played the ball through to Duffy who shot just over from the edge of the area.

Stimson was involved again later when he won the ball off Hawthorne in midfield. He played a wonderful ball with the outside of his foot to Vaughan, who shot wide under pressure from Daly when he should have done better.

Slough's first decent move of the match came after 18 minutes. Marshall beat a Canvey defender and played the ball to Hall, who did well to keep it under pressure from Bodley. All that Hall needed to do was pass the ball to Lambert who would have been clear on goal, but sadly for Slough he did not see the former Reading man and the opportunity was lost.

Minutes later Slough fans saw their first real glimpse of James Lambert in full flow. Cramman played a good through ball to Marshall, who held the ball up and played the ball back to Lambert, who beat two Canvey defenders before cutting inside and firing wide of Harrison's goal.

On 24 minutes former Tottenham youngster Wayne Vaughan had another chance for Canvey after good play by Kennedy. He found himself with only Mautone to beat, but his shot was brilliantly saved low down to his left by the Australian in the Slough goal.

Canvey had yet another chance soon after. Smith played a long ball into the box, which was fumbled by Mautone. The ball fell to former Yeovil player Steve Parmenter, but his weak shot was easily cleared by Timothy.

The goal that won the game came two minutes before the interval. Kennedy broke from midfield and played the ball into the path of Vaughan who looked just offside, but the decision was not given and Vaughan hammered the ball into the empty net with Mautone stranded.

The second half started very slowly with both sides canceling each other out, but the first chance did fall to Slough. Chris White played the ball into the penalty area from the left. His high cross was met by McPherson on the far post and his header was saved on the line by Canvey keeper Ashley Harrison.

Canvey had their first chance after 60 minutes. Smith crossed the ball in from the right, the ball missed all the players in the centre, but it fell to Parmenter on the left, who volleyed wide when he should have forced Mautone into a save.

Slough looked most dangerous from their set pieces and they almost scored when a Allen corner was headed over by McPherson.

There were few chances in this half, with both sides not particularly playing at their best. But the next chance fell to arguably the best player on the pitch, John Kennedy, but he fired his effort over the bar.

The last real two chances of the match came ten minutes from the end. The chance for Slough fell to Haynes, who saw his right footed shot go straight at Harrison and Canvey's chance fell to Vaughan, who saw his diving hader superbly saved by Mautone.

Canvey Island Lineup

Harrison, Smith, Tilson, Bennett, Bodley, Stimson, Kennedy, Duffy, Gregory (Clark), Vaughan (Jones), Parmenter (Cooper).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024