Beavers Claim The Title

Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Hodges (45, 48) Lake (80), Godfrey (82 pen)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Miller (27, 77)
League Attendance: 1055 Matt Miller
Slough were down and champions-elect Hampton needed to win to secure the title and the Rebels gave them an almighty scare before two late goals earned the Beavers the title.

Matt Miller was nearly the Rebels hero having scored twice after replacing Abby Nsubuga early in the first half but the champions dug deep and got their deserved win and as a result the title.

The home side pressed Slough from the off and made a lot of the early running but some last ditch tackles combined with some fine goalkeeping from Jamie Jackson kept the scores level.

Slough knew the longer they could stay close, the more nerves would play a part and then the unthinkable happened, Slough took the lead with their first attack of note.

The ball was played up towards Miller. He used his body well to hold off the defender and turn inside with the ball before firing a looping volley past a stranded Matt Lovett.

The home side continued to have the better of the play and penned the Rebels in but just could not get the breakthrough. That was until the stroke of half time as the once loved Rebel Ian Hodges beat Steve Daly to a cross from the right at the near post and planted the ball past Jackson.

Hampton got into the lead within three minutes of the second half starting as a long throw from the left was met by the head of Hodges and he flicked into the far corner.

Hampton continued to dominate play, but the nerves were still there and it was visible in their finishing as they just could not extend their lead despite creating a number of chances.

Steve Hale, playing in his last game before retirement, went close when he hit the frame of the goal with Lovett beaten and this chance seemend to lift Slough as Hale again forced a late block from a Hampton defender.

Hampton were left to rue all those missed chances as another simple, but effective, goal came from Slough. A long ball up through the middle of the pitch wasn't dealt with and Miller ran through and lobbed the ball up and over Lovett as the keeper ran out and it dipped perfectly in under the bar.

The parity, and the delight of seeing Hampton throw it away from the Slough supporters, lasted just three minutes as Stuart Lake ran through and converted into the bottom right corner to spark wild celebrations amongst the home support.

The game was sealed just two minutes later as Elliott Godfrey converted a penalty after Hodges was fouled in the box.

Hampton deservedly won the title and Slough performed admirably but were by far the worst team in the division as they finished fifteen points adrift of 21st placed Walton & Hersham and twenty eight points from safety.

Hampton & Richmond Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024