Match day

Team logo
Wealdstone (H)
Wed Dec 6

Match day

Team logo
Wealdstone (H)
Wed Dec 6 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Rebels forced to replay

| FA Trophy
Att: 203
Slough Town
Davies (pen 36)
1 - 1
Hillingdon Borough
Byfield (74)
Terry Davies
Visitors Hillingdon Borough snatched a second half equaliser to earn a deserved replay against Slough Town in the Preliminary Round of the FA Trophy.

It was Slough who started the brightest and had the first effort on goal just minutes into the game. Good work from young forward Stanley Mugisha on the right resulted in a ball to Christian Metcalfe, whose drive from the edge of the box was tipped over the bar by Matt Davis in the Hillingdon goal.

Hillingdon responded with a Leon Nelson effort which flashed wide, and Slough player/manager Darron Wilkinson had to be alert to clear from almost off the line soon after, as Sam Byfield found himself through on goal.

Soon after, Richard Barnard kept the score at 0-0 with two superb blocking saves from Dave Lawrence, when all around were sure that the Borough midfielder would find the net after having his initial shot saved. Barnard made himself big and somehow managed to keep the ball out.

A lovely through ball from the lively Mugisha was latched onto by Lee Charles, who tried to lob Davis first time. His effort fell past the post, when he perhaps had enough time to take a touch.

At the other end, a long-range effort from Max Howell cannoned off the post, with Dave Lawrence unable to direct the rebound towards goal.

The deadlock was broken in the 36th minute thanks to the quick feet of Terry Davies. He won the ball from a defender and was tripped up as he shifted it onto his other foot. After brief deliberation, referee Robinson pointed to the spot. Davies picked himself up to net his sixth goal of the season, sending Davis the wrong way from 12 yards.

Davies was in the thick of the action at the beginning of the second half, as he smashed a 25-yard free kick off the crossbar, with the ball rebounding away to safety through a crowded penalty area.

Chances arrived for both sides, with Hillingdon’s Byfield cutting inside from the left to test Barnard with a low drive. Danny Tilbury played in Lawrence, but Barnard parried his effort to safety. Dean Harper got his head to a Terry Davies free kick for Slough, but he was under pressure from the Hillingdon defence and his effort did not trouble Davis.

Hillingdon scored the goal that the overall balance of play suggested they deserved on 74 minutes. Danger-man Sam Byfield, a constant menace down the left flank, cut inside again, and this time curled an effort past Barnard and into the bottom corner.

Things became a little heated as young Slough forward Thomas Attrell appeared to be shoved into the advertising hoardings as he was chasing a long ball forwards. Rebels players were incensed by this and Metcalfe, Davies and Roddis were all booked, along with Hillingdon’s Tilbury.

With time running out, both sides had decent chances to win the match. Leon Nelson fired a weak effort straight into the arms of Barnard when well placed, and Matt Davis produced a good save from Lee Charles after he was put through by Attrell, to ensure that this game would go to a replay.

Hillingdon Borough Line up

Davis, Brown, Fenton, Howell, Fitzgerald (Turner), Duncan, Lawrence, Kirby, Tilbury (c), Nelson, Byfield. Subs not used: Hibbs, Strange, Mengeli.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023