Buchanan brace seals Trophy progress

Slough Town

Slough Town

Buchanan (67, 79)


FA Trophy Attendance: 200 Elliott Buchanan
Two second half goals from Elliot Buchanan proved enough to secure a trip to Boreham Wood in the next round of the FA Trophy after a dominant Slough display.

After the lacklustre performance at the Honeycroft three days earlier, Steve Bateman made two changes, bringing back Dean Harper and Danny Jordan, as his Rebels side looked to take full advantage of the second chance after Danny Murphy's last-gasp equaliser at Uxbridge.

It was Slough who were quickest out of the blocks this time, Bowden-Haase heading just wide from a corner, before Mark Smith’s long shot was dealt with easily by Ricky Perks.

Slough were looking particularly dangerous from set pieces, and Dean Harper was a constant threat, having a header cleared off the line by a combination of Kevin Warner and Matt Burton. Paul Edgworth also saw a powerful header from Chris Herron’s corner cannon back off the crossbar.

Elliot Buchanan also shot over after Matt Burton had fumbled the ball after he had saved at Edgeworth’s feet as Slough kept the pressure up.

Uxbridge, who strangely threatened little, were restricted well by the Rebels backline and Smith had a fierce shot well blocked by Harper before Daniel Rimmell’s well-struck shot sailed over the bar.

On the break, Slough were looking dangerous through the lively Mo Sharif, and he played the ball out wide for Herron to cross onto the head of Danny Jordan, but the returning striker could not keep his header down.

Just before the interval, another quick break saw Kean feed Murphy on the left, and his cross was mishit by Elliot Buchanan in the middle, who was unmarked.

After Slough had dominated the first half, the beginning of the second saw Uxbridge come into the match, with the game flowing from end to end.

Reds striker Daniel Rimmell picked the ball up in space 25 yards out, and he attempted to place a curled effort around Perks, but the Slough stopper made a fine diving save to his right.

Moments later, an attempted lob from out wide on the right dropped just wide with Perks stranded.

Slough started building pressure on the Uxbridge goal again, with Harper having another header blocked on the line by Warner, before the deadlock was broken thanks to Elliot Buchanan, who was having an increasing influence on the match. The striker ran onto a fine through ball, before coolly rounding Burton and slotting home for his third goal of the season on 67 minutes.

Slough now looked in complete control and it seemed inevitable that the Rebels would extend their lead, but Herron’s cross was agonisingly missed by Jordan in the six yard box, and Sharif’s shot on the stretch was saved by Burton.

Sharif also saw a shot blocked by Burton after being released by Jordan, and from the corner, Harper had yet another header blocked before Sharif’s shot on the rebound was charged down.

The spell of one-way traffic continued and Slough finally made it 2-0 as Edgeworth’s corner was touched in by Elliot Buchanan from six yards with eleven minutes remaining.

Slough had further chances through Sharif and Buchanan as the latter chased his hat-trick goal, but the Rebels were able to see out the remainder of the game comfortably to set up a tricky trip to Boreham Wood in the next round.

Uxbridge Lineup

Burton, Brown, K Warner, M Howell, Dennison, Carter, Smith, Howe, Tunnell (c), Rimmell, Robinson. Subs: O Howell, Lawrence, Sargent


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024