Rebels cruise past Chipstead in FA Cup

Slough Town

Slough Town

Moone (2, 29), Harris (34), Dobson (66), Barney (80, 88)


Dobson o.g. (77)
FA Cup Attendance: 472 Charlie Moone
Slough cruised into the Second Qualifying Round with a comprehensive win over Ryman Division One South Chipstead in the first FA Cup match played at Arbour Park.

After the euphoria of their win against Hayes & Yeading on Monday, the Rebels looked extremely confident from the off and opened the scoring with just under two minutes played. Brad Hewitt flicked on a corner and Charlie Moone was left unmarked at the back post to head home.

Chipstead goalkeeper Sheik Ceesay was a busy man in this encounter, and he did well to move across to save a low shot from Moone and later to fist away a Warren Harris volley. Lee Barney was then denied by Ceesay, the keeper saving with a leg after Jordan Martin had initially done well to hold the striker off.

Just a minute later, Slough were denied what looked a clear penalty kick when Martin clipped Moone just inside the box, but whilst referee Matt Corlett did blow for a foul, he awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. James Dobson's effort from the resulting dead ball deflected up and over via the top of the crossbar, and Hewitt put the ball wide from the resulting corner.

Chipstead's best chance came on 28 minutes from lively striker Raheem Sterling-Parker, but his low drive was repelled by Mark Scott's legs.

Just a minute later, Slough doubled their lead. Nathan Webb won the ball with a block tackle and showed great vision to pick out Moone with a long pass, and the Slough striker found himself all alone and able to volley in from just inside the box, with Ceesay slow to react to the danger.

Five minutes later, the tie looked to have been put beyond doubt as Warren Harris, on his 100th appearance for the club, reacted quickest to turn the ball home after Moone had been denied his third by a great save from Ceesay.

Slough kept up their intensity and pressurised Chipstead into errors, but the visitors argued they should have been awarded a penalty as Sterling-Parker went down in the box under a challenge.

The hosts went close to taking a four goal lead into the half time break, but Moone somehow missed Dobson's low cross from point blank range after a superb passage of play down the left side.

Chances continued to come for Slough in the second half with Chipstead forced into last-ditch defending on a number of occasions. Moone was again inches away from scoring his third after Barney broke away at pace, whilst skipper Sean Fraser had a shot blocked in a crowded penalty area. Slough also hit the woodwork twice through Moone and Dobson as the hosts piled on the pressure.

The fourth goal arrived on 66 minutes courtesy of James Dobson, who skipped past a challenge and fired low under Ceesay.

Substitute Dan Hicks could have made it five shortly after, but blazed over from six yards with the goal gaping.

The Slough goal was rarely threatened in the second half but Chipstead did register a consolation goal with the unfortunate Dobson turning a cross from Ray Freeman into his own net on 77 minutes.

Slough scored twice more in the final ten minutes as the rain became heavier, with Lee Barney getting both. First, the striker showed great pace to beat Ceesay to a long pass from Hicks, and then touched it past him and slotted in from a tight angle.

Ceesay saved from Moone and Gurkan Gokmen but Barney wrapped up the scoring two minutes from the end. He poked the ball home from close range after a goalmouth scramble to complete a comfortable victory.

Chipstead Lineup

Sheik Ceesay, Tommy Smith, Erivaldo Felix, Jordan Martin (c), Steve Betancourt, Matthew Warren, Jason Henry, Sam Belo-Balogun, Raheem Sterling-Parker, Craig Nelson, Ray Freeman. Subs: Louis Blake, Alex Brown, Dan Aldous, Mario Quiassaca, Matthew Aluetta.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024