Match day

Team logo
Ebbsfleet United (H)
Sat Mar 25

Match day

Team logo
Ebbsfleet United (H)
Sat Mar 25 12:30
The Vanarama National League South

Micky's on the mark again

| League
Dulwich Hamlet
0 - 1
Slough Town
Kiely (84)
Keith White
SLOUGH TOWN came through their toughest test this season with flying colours at Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday when a Micky Kiely goal, six minutes from time, gave the Rebels three vital Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division points.

This was Dulwich's first home league defeat and only their second this season. Having played superbly at Staines in midweek, Slough surpassed that performance at Champion Hill and this must rate as one of their best victories under manager, Laurie Churchill.

With Frank Parsons reporting ill on the morning of the match Richard Teale returned in goal while Dave Russell replaced Rowan Dodds as substitute from the side which beat Staines.

The first 20 minutes were dominated by Dulwich, and only a brilliant save by Teale after five minutes prevented them from taking the lead. A cross from Steve Morley was headed back across the face of the goal by Kim Connett where it found Kevin Wallis unmarked. However Teale produced a fine acrobatic save to keep out his goal bound effort and after a scramble the ball was finally cleared by a relieved Slough defence.

Wallis, who proved to be Dulwich's most dangerous player, had another chance 17 minutes later. But after a cross from the right had beaten the Slough defence he placed his shot well wide from a good position with only Teale to beat.

After this Slough slowly began to dictate the action with the midfield once again showing the same commitment as against Staines and creating some good openings for their forwards.

A fine run by Kiely almost resulted in Morrissey heading home after 33 minutes and then just two minutes before the interval Slough had their best goalscoring opportunity. Eric Young and Keith White combined well on the left and Eggie James just failed to connect with the ball as it ran across the Dulwich penalty area after White had slipped a superb defence splitting pass through.

The second half was just two minutes old when Teale made another vital save. A free kick from Chris Lewington was met by Connett, but Teale was equal to the effort producing a fine one handed save at the base of the post. Slough replied with two good efforts from Morrissey which Steve Bowtell saved well, and then at the other end a cross from Paul Edwards was put into the net by Tony James. However the linesman, Mr. I. R. Craig, noticed a foul on a Slough defender and the effort was disallowed.

With 23 minutes remaining Russell replaced the disappointing James and this move seemed to lift Slough to even greater heights. Within minutes Russell, showing some of the sparkle he has lacked recently, was causing headaches for the Dulwich defence on the right wing.

It was a fine move down the right involving Russell and Morrissey that brought Slough's goal after 84 minutes. Morrissey's long cross was superbly headed back across the goal from the far post by White, and Kiely stooped low to head into the empty net from about two yards out.

While Kiely will be remembered as the scorer a lot of the credit must go to White, who beat Bowtell and a defender to head the ball back and create a simple chance. There were no individual stars in this performance; it was a fine team effort and the Slough players deserved the standing ovation they received from the large number of supporters who travelled to the match.

Dulwich Hamlet Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023